Form 3L Issues

Hi, I’m having the Form 3L since January 2021 (1 year late)! And I have to say the printer is not really working well! Software is not finished, you have to check for update every day hoping your resin will become compatible with the printer and that you will be able to choose the resolution (50µm and 25 µm never available for now, you can only print in 100µm resolution!)!
But it’s not the only issue we encounter, most of our print failed every time! Last of them is with black resin V4! We added supports almost everywhere after 2 previous failed print and still the print is always a failure!
Does other user have the same issues? Formlab could you help us?

Sorry to hear this. Seems to be a too common issue. I am waiting for mine to show up as well.

The machine seems to have been released to soon. I have ran across a few users that have praised it. One user on the forums here “AllOnScale” has seemed to be using it fairly well. They are supposed to be releasing an update second quarter of this year in order to use the .5 micron setting but i guess in my eyes they should be getting the machine to fully work first!

Hope you get a resolution soon!

I have received my Form 3L a 2 weeks ago, mid mars 2021. I did 2 prints. One with the Tough 2000, and another one with clear resin. Both printed well. No issue for me now. The only thing I saw, is the volume in the first resin cartridge is not correct at all. And also, The big front door arrived crooked. I arrange that myself. If the cartridge is almost empty, the printer think that there is none…

Just an update here. I had a major issue with my Form 3L. A lot of parts printed in Tough 2000. Almost all the parts where not good at all. I found debris in the tank at the end. I had to filter resin… Not cool. I am doing an other batch print. It seem that one or two parts aren’t printed… I am not really happy of the failure.

The major issues with the Form 3L for now are;
The resins cartridges amount of resin left inside is not correct. Full cartridge on screen, but the bottle is empty.
During printing, when the buildplate goes up; the Tank is missing onboard… Bip, bip… Detect, not detect…
The time estimate in Preform is a lot less than in real printing. I would say 25-30% more.
When I received the printer, the front opening door was not closing well. I had to play and adjust the hinge.
With the Tough 2000 resin, all my 3 last prints have failed. I had to clean and filter the resin tank each time.
If one part is failling near the other beside it, the other parts will be disformed and fail too.
Up to now, I had no problem with black and clear resins.
2021041320210414_080126a20210414_080134a

My issues so far (and some already reported here):

• Cartridges always show more resin than they really have. On one occasion it showed both were half and they were empty. This caused the print to be halted for hours because it was forever trying to fill the tank and gave no warning.

• One print failed in a way I never experienced (in regular Form 3 at least): about 75% done and the build plate was risen a few centimeters to never come back down. There was no error on screen, it was as the print was still going but always stuck in the same layer. Tried pausing and resuming a few times but no luck, I had to cancel the large print after about 1 hour of nothingness.

• Preform always estimates way less than it takes. For example, if it says its 3 hours then it will take a bit longer than 4 hours to finish.

• No cleaning mesh option which doesn’t help with a tank as large as that.

• No prime option which really annoys me.

• All settings in Preform are beta and the layer height at 100. While that works for large builds, it’s not ideal if want to print a lot of small detailed ones.

• Weird loud beeping sound when moving the plate up / down to change layer. It’s not an annoying sound per se but kind of loud for an otherwise calm machine.

What I liked (compared to a Form 3):

• Fast printing. Probably because of the two lasers combined, not sure.

• Fast tank filling. Both cartridges dump resin at once and I believe (just because it looks like it, haven’t yet measured it) the tank doesn’t fill as high as the one in the Form 3. If someone can confirm it would be great just for my own clarification.

• Never had a failed print that was the machine’s fault. I had one failed but it was due to me trying extremely low touch points. So far I’ve done quite a few prints but only with Tough 2000 and Grey Pro, still have to try everything else.

• The Japanese scraper tool in the finishing kit. I know it’s silly but that thing removes rafts from the build plate without me applying any force. If anyone knows where I can find a few spare ones please do tell!

————

As some have said here in the forum, it really seems we’re all doing some sort of highly expensive beta testing using a Form 3L. Not only the machine has its cost but also the resin for something that, from what I read, is sometimes a matter of luck. I’ve been getting great prints but scared every time I start one.

In the end it’s great to have such a large volume that prints faster but it’s still a beta machine in terms of software and firmware. It’s like a “hey, we made a larger Form 3 but we still don’t know how to make it work but we’ll get there some day” kind of thing in my opinion.