Form 2 Optics degraded

Got my form 2 in april. First few prints were fine, now Im having continual failure to stick to the build plate. Im filtering resin, cleaning my build plate, scratching it, dropping the z. Noticed that I cant see my laser light working since the update it installed the other day. Before you could see the light flashing away. I think ill roll back the firmware and see if that changes things. Disappointing to have such a nice new machine become a useless bit of kit so quickly. Going to ring my retailer about the issues if I cant solve them.

After cleaning the laser mirrors it has to be aligned or when you turn on the printer will they return to the point of origin?

As a Form1+ owner I have found keeping the machine covered when not in use has solved dirty optics issues and prints come out every time.

From what I understand, the Form2 has sealed optics but they are not air tight. With that in mind I could guess that just fumes in the air are contaminating the optics (ie smoke, car fumes etc).

I have cleaned my mirrors and galvos on the F1 but take great care in doing so. I would guess the F2 should be similar and assume that there is no recalibrating needed for mirrors or galvos since they should fit back where they came from.

Does anyone make a cover for the F2? I would suspect that this would really help.

1 Like

The galvo motors and the laser are clamped into a solid metal block. There is no need to disturb any of the clamping bolts in order to clean the mirrors, so the mirror will not need re-aligning.

1 Like

Here is a link to someone who was making them.

Chris

Do you have this Formlabs test file?

yes I have

Hello I want to thank your video was having problems with my printing and was just cleaning the mirrors near the leiser after cleaning my printout are perfect. This proves that F2 is not dust-proof, which proves that we have to clean all the mirrors.

Thanks for posting this. I ordered one for our Form 2 at work after finding an insane amount of dust on the main mirror. I’ll be cleaning the galvo mirrors too and now have this. Hopefully it helps.

Not a problem…glad I could help!!!

Chris

And it can be the galvo mirrors! I had done almost everything to be able to solve until I decided to open to see the galvo mirrors and had dust in them and after cleaning as a magic pass my impressions came back aser perfect.We guard the results of their cleaning.

1 Like

Well it appears we have more issues. We went to open up the printer to clean the galvo mirror and resin is frying the plug.

And this is really a problem I think you should contact Formlabs for a replacement of this plug, so it is very probable that you will have problems.

…If dust is getting into the optics, the optics are not sealed, are they ?!!

Yeah, we are sending out printer back for repairs. We also had parts “melt” together while printing. Apparently we have a major problem. To eliminate any delay we bought a new printer, and first print failed with error code 41. We can’t win!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.