Flexible support contact

Hi folks. Does anyone have any tips for reducing the amount of post work required with the Flexible resin? At the moment I’m trying to print a small but essential part which has to be pretty clean as it’s a kind of bush between two moving parts. There is no flat surface on this part so I can’t cheat and put it on the platform as they do with the samples they send out. ;o)

No matter how I orient it I have a shed load of supports which I have to trim off, I don’t mind the work to trim, but it seems impossible to leave a smooth finish even with a very carefully controlled scalpel.

Any tips welcome.

Thanks.

For these kind of jobs we 3D print a mold and cast it in silicone. This gives very clean parts. Properties are much better than the flexible resin as well.

Ahh, interesting. Yes, that could work.

Do you recommend any software for creating the negative?

I’m using Solidworks to make the negative/vents/gate.

I’ve also noticed the large difficulty when removing supports and orienting prints with flexible resin.

I’m slowly looking at shrinking the supports past the 1.6mm recommendation w/ increasing the point density, but I suspect I’ll hit a wall soon. It might not be in the cards with this material, and have started looking at casting things instead for prints where I want more than one or two things.

On the plus side, I’ve been very pleased with how my flexible resin prints have been coming out.

Yes, the actual material is great, a lot more flexible than the samples parts I was sent, which did bend, but were, erm, sturdy!

What sizes and density have you got down to without issues?