Custom build platform has eliminated the annoyances of the standard platform

Looking over the list of performance benefits… there is only one that I would bring to your attention. If you are suggesing that the build platform is a sold billet of 6061… I would wonder about the thermal sink properties of this design… given the recent unexpected negative effects of Formlabs reducing the starting twmp from 31C to 26C and many of us having bonding issues… a solid piece of 6061 is one hell of a heat sink… may not be a good thing.

Just a thought from an engineer… many of the other features are usefull!

MDRM has a good suggestion. A 304 or 316 plate with a thermoelectric element on the back-side would be awesome! I have refinished my OEM platforms with 320-grit glass bead meadia, and it has worked well… so if it was simply a minimal-mass stainless plate (maybe even 17-4PH to reduce superficial scratching) with a proper texture, and a cooling element on the back to “pop-off” the parts, when attached to a power source. This is obviously a perfect world, grand scheme design goal, but… may be very useful. Cleaning the build tray can be a PITA… and always at the risk of damaging it… that said. The OEM platform is really quite cheap, so replacing it is only a small financial decision. I have +300 prints off of my original 2 platforms, and they are still humming along.

Thank-you for your thoughts @mdrm’s and @SchemeInc . The custom-platform is not a solid billet of 6061 aluminum, there may be some confusion from @Edward_Peretti 's mentioning “a solid one piece platform” in an earlier comment in this thread. The build face is not much thicker when compared to the Form1/1+ oem-platform. I should also say that this first version of the custom platform is designed for use with only the Form1/1+ at this time. In 2014 I joined 3DHubs.com when there was only 11 available printers in Western Canada, I’ve printed more than a thousand jobs on the oem platform that came with my Form1 in 2013. I’ve printed all sorts of models on the 3 year-old oem platform, from tiny to too-tall unless angled, using every available resin except the Durable, HighTemp, Castable and Dental, and have printed ‘perfume bottle’ prototypes that looked like they were made with glass material. When I started contacting high volume machine shops earlier this year the selling price was going to be less than the $99.00 for the oem-platform. I thought of including a temperature controlled build face when Formlabs announced the printing environment change with the debut of the Form2, but the cost was going to more than double the $99.00 selling price goal I was working toward and then there would also be the electronics certification…a huge hurdle to overcome. I’m thinking now maybe we could make allowances in the final design for temperature control and provide procurement information for printer owners wishing to make the upgrade themselves or contract a local certified electronics service bureau to perform the upgrade.

Another idea regarding the temperature control… so if the goal is to cool the model for easy removal from the platform, why not just cool the model by submerging the platform with the fresh prints into a temperature controlled vat of isopropyl alcohol?

@BrentONiel to cool the IPA may work but it may require almot more energy and effort. The whole basin of IPA would have to be cooled to subzero temperatures. The IPA basin would have to be designed in a smart way, I have’nt any ideas for that. The cooling device would be on for longer and need cooling itself, and the condensation or ice from air moisture would an issue. It may take longer to clean the parts as well. As many others I dont use 100% IPA. So I don’t know when the mixture may freeze.

I’ve printed hundreds of prints on this custom platform and have yet to experience a stuck model on the build face. I’ve traded the industrial scraper for a small razor blade …removing prints is a non-issue and scratches only happen as an accident when there are no prints on the build face. Removing prints from the oem-platform is a distant memory, and I no longer suffer the frustrations that arose from using an oem-platform. A cooling system could be allowed for in the first or second revision if in fact it’s an issue with the custom platform which I highly doubt based on my printing experiences so far. Currently, there is ample room to attach a cooling system, including electronics, I’ve designed this custom platform so end users may customize easily and also allow me to make modifications if needed. I’m thinking a stainless steel build face could easily be an option for those insistent on a cooling system. At this time the custom platform has made printing on the Form1/Form1+ a pleasure for me, it’s a completely different printing and cleanup experience!

I have not forgotten your request for pics and additional info guys. Since others expressed interest in 2015 I have poured a ton of design time into this custom platform to ready for commercial sale. Things like ease-of-use, safety, economical pricing and possible solutions to whatever may happen to offset the reliability and accuracy this custom platform provides. I’ve been mulling over patenting the design and have not decided as yet, so if pics and information regarding the custom platform exist in the public it can potentially become difficult to patent. I will be asking for beta testers in the near future, not many however, just enough to confirm the claims of this custom platform. Cheers and good journeys!

Patent: you have one year from when the idea is reduced to service (or like marketed, whichever comes first,) to file a patent application. If you show photos in a public forum that just protects you as showing your idea was in the “Prior Art”.

An idea that is in the prior art anywhere on the World cannot be patented in the US…

1 Like

Let me know if you need beta testers, im down!

Please count me in to beta test or purchase, whichever way I can get one of those sweer build platforms! Thanks!

Is there a web page or someplace I can go to get more info?

Hi Brent,

I know you suffer back pain and life gets in the way of side projects like this. I’m just wondering how far along you got with your custom build platform. Sounds like you put a lot of work into it, if it’s still something you’re gradually pursuing I’d be interested in seeing the result!

Cheers.