Comb designed for cleaning the resin tank

… or you could print my form file? It’s ‘ready to go’? :wink:

You can also find my design on Thingiverse:

Hey Jolmer,

I’m using your form thingiverse file. Just to be clear you printed it successfully with just these supports. I ask because I noticed when I went into the edit support mode there was a lot of red on the model.

I went through several build-your-own-strainer iterations, but in the end I found as many others did, it’s already been done and is very affordable :

A few coins for 50 at a time and each one will do two or more tanks.

Pouring the resin through a strainer is a total solution, whereas pushing a comb through the tank will never be 100% - never mind the fact that the nylon paint strainer mesh will always be finer than the F1 can print …

Yes, I printed it with just these supports. All went well… :wink:

Where did you buy these, Kevin?

@Jolmer I’m in the UK so I got them from Amazon UK - £6.19 for 50, although I can see equivalent ones (same mesh size) on ebay cheaper now. Just google “paper paint strainer” to find some local to you - ebay/amazon/whatever…

Hi Kevin
That’s a good idea. But I have a question concerning the usage of the strainer. Do you filter your resin after every print job and do you clean the tank as well every time?

@Michael_Breitenstein not my idea, think several others arrived at it independantly, not sure who mentioned it first.

Anyway - yes, filter after every print. The new F1+ laser generates a lot more flakes than a healthy F1. Filtering after every print is pretty much necessary unless you were lucky with your F1+ out of the box laser flare variance.

There’s no need to clean vats, even if you change resin types, mixing a few mls of different resin is of no consequence - unless you’re concerned about colour - eg a few mls of black could tint a whole vat.

In fact cleaning a vat is more likely to cause issues than prevent them - you’re increasing the risk of dust/fingerprints/smudges on the vat underside surface.

1 Like

Filters are better than a comb but I haven’t used them on resin after each print very often. I have had pretty great success with the precautions I currently take so unless I run into an issue I won’t go through the trouble of filtering after every print.

I have tried using strainers to clean out my IPA solution a couple of times though. I have had multiple instances where the mesh separates from the paper due to the weight of the partially cured resin globs though. It gets to a point where the partially cured resin just blocks the passages anyway. I have a feeling just putting the tub out in the sun would be a better bet…

This is a great thread - the invention is really cool.

Last year I tried designing a comb but wasn’t satisfied at the time it took to filter or the performance. Personally, I haven’t found filtering necessary between most prints, unless the resin is getting older.

I just found this discussion while I planned to start a new thread,
So I will hook in…

When reading the guidelines for keeping a clean resin tank I also found the advice to use a comb for filtering the resin.
I tried this first too, but found it was not very comfortable.
So I created this “floaty filter” for the Form 2 to remove those particles of cured resin.
It has a rack, which can be installed at the right side of the tank.
So the filter is well stored and allways close to hand. It can drip off after each use below the uv-protected cover.
The filter and its rack neither obstruct the wiper, build platform nor cover.
And the best part: It’s printed by the dedicated machine itself. :slight_smile:

Best regards
Jürgen Schoner

10 Likes

Hi Jurgen,

Is your solution also available for download??

Looks amazing!

Would you be willing to share this model?

Yes of course.
There it is:
http://www.see3.de/demo/Floaty-Filter.zip
Give me a feedback, how it works.

1 Like

I think your design should be featured by Formlabs :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you for putting that up!

I just had a fail with my flexible resin (my fault), and that will come in very useful. :grinning:

Why in flexible? It wasn’t intended as a fishing net. :wink:

No, the mishap was in my flexible tank, so I am printing your gadget in tough resin. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I gave the code for the first UK eCommerce site and payment gateway away for free.20 years ago. Now anyone can set up an online shop with open source software and I am happy that folks don’t have to pay huge licence fees to set up a small shop.
The world needs more kind acts - I salute your open-hearted generosity. Your friend needs to learn money is not everything.
Schoner - your comb is a great design and thank you for your generosity too.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your kind words.
And I quite agree to your approach.

BTW:
It seems, that the filter is rather popular. I could record 110 downloads so far. :slight_smile:
Would be happy to hear your experience with it.