Cartable resin and investment casting

So, this is probably a stupid questions but has anyone used the casting resin for SS and Aluminium. I have only read on here of bad experiences with larger parts. FL only seem to publish the jewellery side of this, i want to investment cast large engineering parts…

I currently print in FDM with Polycast which is working well but i am also looking for a solution for higher detailed parts…

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Will

nobody tried this??

Many thanks

Will

Well, you should talk to your foundry to see if they can handle the extended burnout process involved. If not, then you have your answer.

They can but after reading a few posts on here large parts have simply cracked the shell. I was wondering if someone had successfully done this with larger parts and if so can share their experience of how they achieved it…

Many thanks

Will

I’ll defer to them, then.

I’ve done bigger castings (about 30ml) with But Cast resin, but it has other problems which I haven’t solved yet. Particularly warping and it doesn’t adhere to the build platform well.

This cracking of the shell is a problem that’s due to the expansion of the resin with heating. It’s an issue that also happens with carving wax, and gets worse with larger pieces. Regular wax doesn’t have this problem, since it runs out of the mold when it gets hot. If you can make the piece hollow (providing drain holes for the uncured resin and blocking them up with wax before investing) that will help it collapse into itself rather than exerting so much pressure outwards. Failing that, making a mold of the printed part and casting waxes from that would be my fallback solution.

Andrew Werby
Juxtamorph.com