A buddy for the removal tool - no more scratches on the build platform

There shouldn’t be any material transferred from the tool to the printed part. It shouldn’t need to be any more biocompatible than the coating already on the tool.

Parts are washed and cured after removal from the build platform so touching them with a non-biocompatible material shouldn’t be an issue. Just don’t put the tool in your body and you should be good.

I made a cover just like @cubo created that I printed on the Form 2 using the tough resin. No more scratches and works great. I have attached the .form file in case anyone else wants to do the same.

removal tool cover.form (113.7 KB)

Chris

5 Likes

Great that we solved this issue :slight_smile:

Great! But I suspect you’d get better results printing at nearly any other angle. E.g. You could start from the open end and print directly on the base (would need to add a notch near the base as an airhole.

The Formlabs printers don’t like large flat surfaces parallel to the build platform, and trying to clean out all the little supports from inside that pocket as things stand is going to be tricky.

I trowed away this tool at the first scratch and start using clay-modeling plastic tools to pop out the prints, platform always like new.

Hi,
Do you think this might be a good use:

That works well for me on FDM prints but I’ve no idea how well it would work with resin.

I regularly use a paint scraper like that to remove direct-on-base prints that are resistant to other techniques. It works very well; just be patient, go slow and be careful not to hurt yourself.

Hey while I’m here, @cubo let me know if you manufacture any more Removal Buddy’s. I love mine but after years some are getting worn.