Scrapes on build platform

My build platform is getting scrapes all over it from popping prints off. Is that something i should be concerned with? As in, will there be issues with the print bonding over time? After every print, Ill wipe the platform down with alcohol, I just have been curious about the scrapes.

I’ve never had problems with the build platform and light scratches over the years including the Form 1+

For me it’s just cosmetic. You can wet sand and/or use scotchbrite to bring the surface back to near new. There will be less scratches if you pick up a few cheap plastic decal removal tools. Just get them to bite a little on the edge and twist. Mine were made by “Scotty peeler”. They are pretty sharp so be careful.

as long as the scrapes are not raised or too deep should not matter. I use 4 inch paring knife to get my prints off. thin enough to get under base and not damage plate.

I resurfaced both of mine with a palm sander since the person who ran the 3d printer before me was like a bull in a china shop and scraped it all over. I used a 36 grit sandpaper disc and afterwards smoothed it out a little with a piece of green scotch brite. Never had any problems with them since.

Scratches are actually good.
The rougher the surface, the better.

As long as it’s not gouged, or dented, or bent, it’s good.

Years back, when i was printing with a DIY SLA (not DLP) printer, i was using a perforated steel plate as a platform. Sometimes you’d have to chisel the prints off it.

1 Like

That’s what I was about to say. As long as the surface is normal to the axis, and any dent don’t have harp chips that might damage the tank, any irregularity will make adherence beter.

I’ll try to remember to take a photo of our BP next monday, it sure doesn’t look new :stuck_out_tongue:
Still, it’s important to gently scrape the platform after each print with the scraper so as to ensure that no bits of resin are still stuck on it as well as any chip of aluminium which would definitely damage the dank during the peeling and wiping operations.

Appart from the fact that a rough surface isn’t a real problem, on the oposite side of things a finely sanded surface (finer than the beadblasted surface of a new build plate) might cause adherence issues… and a coarsely sanded surface might not be perfectly normal to the Z axis because of how much material you are taking off, and you will also have to adjust the Z offset of the machine… which is not build-plate specific so if you have several plates that you have sanded you’ll have to use different Z offsets for each plate… needless to say this might create more issues than anything else IMHO.

The scratches on the platform are OK. But sometimes it’s hard to remove parts, depending on material and especially if you have to print large surfaces without supports, directly on the build platform. Removing such parts is a lot of FUN :wink:

I often produced aluminum chips and found them later in the tank and didn’t like to waste material by cleaning the platform. In the end I’ve developed a cover for the Removal tool.

I created a little cover for the removal tool similar to another one I saw on this forum. I use it all the time now and no more scratches.

removal tool cover.form (113.7 KB)

Chris

Must admit i haven’t found a single chip, ever.
And i used the scraper, the removal tool, the snips…

The key bit is to always stay parallel, whichever tool you use.
You can’t do anything useful if the tool is not parallel to the build platform, but create gouges.

If you can’t get it parallel, because the base lip is too far from the edge of the platform, use a longer tool (that’s where the scraper comes in handy). And yeah, there’s no rule that says you need to do it all from a single side - work your way around the base.

And another tip - use two scrapers or two removal tools if you have them. It’s a world of a difference, as you can use one to lift the corner of the base, then slide another in.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips, will test these methods…

This forum is fantastic. Thanks for all the input. No major gouges, probably more cosmetic. I clean off with alcohol after every print as well. Keep all the tools clean. Hearing that it might help for the print to adhere also makes sense. Like a seasoned iron skillet.

I like a regular sharp metal drywall compound knife (spreader,) but I knock the corners off on a bench grinder. Still can get under a stubborn base, but won’t gouge the build platform.