My Form 1+ started making a *thud* sound during peeling

Guys, today my printer started making some horrible sounds during the peel process. If I watch the tray closely as it’s peeling I can see it drop as the thud sound begins. Does anyone else have this sound? It started out of nowhere. Is this something I need to be concerned with? Our printer is relatively new (within 3-4 months). I’m printing a anatomical heart using the flexible material. The model was not hollow so I’m wondering if the cross section is too much strain on the motors?

Yes, you are putting to much stress on the mechanisms with a solid cross section. I never print anything solid unless it has a relatively small cross section. If you are lucky you haven’t damaged the motors.

Kenny - yes this is due to a large solid area detaching from the silicone. This shouldn’t damage your printer and we have units here in the office that do the same thing on large parts.

If your prints are effected, send us a ticket and we can help out.

Yup its a solid model (not hollowed out). I looked at the printer and noticed the support structure was being ripped apart because the part was sticking to the resin tank instead of the support structure. Long story short, the part is way too thick for this motor I think and combined with the dense flexible material I think it was just too much strain. I canceled the print out of fear I would damage the motors. Looks like I need to find a way to edit the STL file to hollow it out.

An unfortunate side effect you may notice is very obvious layer lines due to the additional stress.

Meshmixer has an excellent ‘hollow’ feature, very accurate and ready to use, plus it’s free. The hollow tool is in the edit features.

So a tip on the hollow feature.
I had the exact problem that Kenny had. The hollow did not help because even thought the large surface tension went away, what got replaced as a suction cup effect.

the only solution was to cant the model about 10 degrees and the problem(s) were solved.

Like peeling a band-aid off, it must be peeled at an angle to the surface otherwise there is too much surface area resistance to overcome. And… it hurts.

Always add a hole closest to the build plate to prevent a vacuum forming, Meshmixer provides this ability as part of the hollow function. You can just brush in a drop of resin and use a laser pointer to cure and your hole is gone. Rotating the model is also good advice, but if does depend on the model.

Yea I think I had the suction cup thing happen. I will look into the mesh mixer software. Sounds very useful, especially when I receive models and do have control how they were created.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.