Behold the Mighty Owl (Size detail test)

So I went ahead and printed this Owl model at a 60% size reduction from the original. The print came out great so I thought why not try and push the limits of the printer further?

Even with the additional reduction in size, the quality of the feather detail came out with superb clarity. The little owl was also printed with no supports.

Note: I did not create this .STL file

Great! It is way far beyond my expectation!! Did you do any retouch on the tip?  What is the layer setting? .025mm?

Hey Jimmy!

I didn’t do any retouch, but the tips came out very defined.

I just used the .050mm layer setting

is the 25 microns options available ?

Hey Julien,

Yes the 25 micron print option is indeed available in the list here.

Hi Jory Block,

Your print are really great.

Could you test to scale it down further ? like twice or more ? I’m sure form1 is able to handle it.

As show by the B9creator here :  http://b9creator.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/il044-IMG_0341.JPG.

I’m sure the formon can do better.

Best

Thanks Gilles!

I may try and scale the model down even further this week. If I have time, I’ll post photos.

Cheers!

Jory

Hey Jory that’s pretty damn awesome!

Could you post side and back views so we can see how the feathers turned out?

Hey Jory that’s pretty damn awesome!

Could you post side and back views so we can see how the feathers turned out?

Jory,

Thanks for sharing - this looks pretty amazing. I’ve been a fence sitter on the Form 1 and would like to get a small test print done at the best possible resolution before investing in one. Would you be willing to do a test print for me for a reasonable fee? I will provide the .stl files. If interested, my email is info at jaredzichek.com.

Thanks,

Jared

Hi Jared,

We don’t have the bandwidth at this time to provide print samples or custom requests. All of our attention right now is focused on getting printers out the door and into the hands of our customers.

We hope to be able to provide samples sometime in the future.

Jory,

OK, will ask someone else on the forum to try and get a test print done - I didn’t notice you worked for Formlabs. No wonder the prints look so great - you must know the machine like the back of your hand!

As an aside, I would suggest a private messaging function on the forum (if there isn’t one already) like they have on Shapeways.

Best Regards,

Jared