Why are first layers so different in 0.1 & 0.05mm layer height?

I’ve seen this before be thought I should ask as I’m interested to know and learn more.

This model I’ve optimized for 0.1mm layer height and Tough 1500. Yesterday I printed it in 0.05mm just to see the result, but the by far most significant difference was how compressed the first layers were as you can clearly see on the pictures.
The model is printed directly on the build platform and have a “foot” which prevents most of the elephant foot artifact on 0.1mm but on 0.05mm it clearly didn’t work nearly as well.

Are the first layers (z-compression?) handled differently for different layer heights? If so, is there some information about it so I can understand and work around it without trial and error?

Is this unique for Tough 1500 or are similar results to be expected from all resins?

Hi @Reine,

Thank you for sharing this interesting observation! Print settings (including Z-compression and early layer exposure settings) are handled differently across resin types and even across different layer thicknesses, as you noted here. I don’t have specifics on how each combination of resin type and layer thickness affect print results, and these settings are continuously being updated via new PreForm releases. I believe running small test prints, although somewhat inconvenient, would be the best way to get a sense for how each settings combination works for your parts.

Given this - how feasible would it be for PreForm to have a visual preview of such layer compression, if it indeed is so variable between resin types, settings and even releases of software?

1 Like

Hi @kehall,

I agree that this would be a useful feature, and I will pass your feedback along. PreForm does give a visual representation of Z-compression correction when used (see Editing Advanced Settings for supports in PreForm), however this is slightly different from your request.