Tiny robot at printed 0.025mm - pics and a tip

After discussion about the layering on my tiny robot printed at 0.05mm layer height, I said I would re-print at 0.025mm layer height and post pics. Here are those pics.

However, first things first – I have only attempted printing at 0.025mm layer height once before and it failed. I have seen other folks commenting they couldn’t get a good adhesion on the base, and therefore the whole print would remain in the resin. This is the same thing that happened to me. I forgot this when I went to print the robot at 0.025mm and sure enough it didn’t adhere but half-way through I caught it and I stopped it.

I wasn’t sure what to do, and I don’t recall if there was a solution on this forum, but I decided to see what would happen if I opted to print it at 0.025mm with the GRAY resin profile. I figured that with the colorant, it might need a slightly longer exposure time and this might help adhesion. I got it going and had to leave for a short day trip over to the beach with the wife.

When I got back – it worked! And it’s amazing. This is what you want, this is what you get. :slight_smile:

You can see a little bit of banding in the pics, but they are almost imperceptible to the naked eye. You may also notice he has a little bit of hair on his chest - he flipped over on the paper towel I was carrying him on and got a bit of lint. I haven’t re-cleaned him yet; I’ll do that after I remove the supports.

Cheers,

g.

thank you!  It’s been helpful to see how much better the 25 micron works vs 50 on these small figures.

And thanks for the printing tip.

I’ll add this here as it’s not worthy of it’s own post (IMO), but the prints look really cool in my wife’s UV exposure box.

Very cool indeed; thanks again!

Nice print! Can you show it with a common coin or ruler in the frame for scaling?

Nevermind, just scrolled down and saw the other thread. Good stuff!

Wow, that is a really cool robot!

Nice tip regarding the Grey [Gray] Resin Profile.

Robot looks great in the UV pic.

_Too much BOKEH! _DOF obscures too much in the other pics.

@Question - thanks, it was a quick 10 minute design in Blender… Some cubes and isospheres.

@Christopher - The good macro lens we have has a super-narrow DOF. We have another one that will be wider DOF, but not as macro. I will try both for future to give a better idea of size and overall quality.

(in my best nerd voice)

@christopher    Bokeh is actuallythe character of defocused areas, not the amount of defocus.   For example, a defocused point can have a donut-shaped ring,  an evenly shaded disk, or a bright center that falls off to darkness.

(end nerd voice)

@Aric

I’m aware of the subtilizes of the terms, I just like the way it sounds.

:)  I thought you might, I’m glad I used my nerdy (Simpson’s comic book store guy) voice then!  :slight_smile:

Hey guys!

We just launched a layer thickness article that I thought might be of some interest in comparing resolution:  http://support.formlabs.com/entries/24104448-When-to-Use-Different-Layer-Heights

Thanks Jory B for this article ! :slight_smile: Is it possible to see the full size of the own picture ?

My pleasure!

If we have a chance to get a macro shot, I’ll see if we can add it to the article