The Future of the Form 1+

I laughed so hard my neighbors could hear it :smiley:

Imagineā€¦ UV cure batter. So many possibilities! :smile:

1 Like

It gets worse: the ā€˜repairedā€™ F1+ gave me about 5 good print jobs, then began failing again! I had to buy another F2 to keep me ā€˜upā€™ while this gets worked-out (if it gets worked-out ā€¦ so far over 1 month and not acknowledgement from Formlabs). I should have been concerned when the F1+ returned from the ā€˜repairā€™ with a few loose screws (that I could see ā€¦ maybe there are others that I canā€™t see). I wish I was better at troubleshooting, since Formlabs seems to be more interested in marketing to possible users) than working relationships with real users. The industry is becoming competitive, and it is becoming easier for fellow dentists to sort through the hype. Turning a regular guy into a ā€˜guruā€™ to promote your machine is an old tactic that most dentists can already see through (but, apparently, Formlabs marketing doesnā€™t understand, yet).

Where did you send your printer to get repaired? Mine took a trip to Boston and they did a fantastic job.
I am not sure what you mean by ā€œThe industry is becoming competitive, and it is becoming easier for fellow dentists to sort through the hype. Turning a regular guy into a ā€˜guruā€™ to promote your machine is an old tactic that most dentists can already see through (but, apparently, Formlabs marketing doesnā€™t understand, yet).ā€ In your experiences, how do other printer manufacturers deal with troubleshooting? I have had a few printers over the years and Formlabs is by far the best. Donā€™t get me wrong, they are not flawless, I have had my fair share of issues. There is always room for improvement.

Regardless of how much I know or donā€™t know about the Form 1 / 1+ series printer, support goes through the standard playbook for troubleshooting. Beyond a few tweaks that I think the playbook could use, they get to the root cause in a reasonable amount of time. Are you dealing with support in MA or somewhere else?

If you want, start a new thread and post up pics and a description of the issues (besides the loose screws as those are self explanatory and obviously the printer should have never been sent back like that) I am sure we can assist.

I donā€™t think end users have to be gurus or good at troubleshooting. Just being able to describe what you are seeing and uploading a pic or few. It is up to FL to do the actual troubleshooting.

The warranty is one year! Thatā€™s poor for a serious piece of equipment. FormLabs has a lot to learn (still) about how to treat their customers. I missed the upgrade offer to the Form2, but I think itā€™s just as well. If you figure a 1-tear product life into the equation, a FormLabs printer doesnā€™t make sense economically. Overnight service bureaus are almost a dime a dozen, and they can produce much better parts without making a mess out of your work space.

1 Like

Would be good if FL allows 3rd party service centers to pop up. Iā€™m sure there are many 3d supply companies that would distribute FL resins, tanks and repair parts for the older systems.

1 year warranty does seem low but the nature of the machines I think it would be average. Better than a 30day.
If something faulty it would certainly be within the year, anything beyond that would be wear and tear.