Swiffer Duster for dirty Form1 mirrors

Fingers crossed, I fixed my Form1+'s degrading success rate. Using compressed air to blow dust off the main mirror is just about useless. You can literally see if fly off the mirror, spin around, and land back on the mirror again.

Out of desperation, I tried a CLEAN, new swiffer duster. The kind like here: http://www.amazon.com/Swiffer-Disposable-Cleaning-Unscented-Packaging/dp/B0035G072M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417656701&sr=8-1&keywords=swiffer+duster

I guess I shouldn’t recommend it in general, however it’s worked for me… Amazing

We’ve tested a variety of additive-free & scientific wipes and found that only PEC PADS work reliably for mirror cleaning. Take a look at our article on mirror cleaning for more details. Not saying that it didn’t work for you, David, but I don’t want other people experimenting.

Just to echo what Sam was saying, the Form 1 (and Form 1+) utilize first-surface mirrors (Wikipedia article). This means that there’s nothing above the reflective coating. While this is good for reflecting a high-power, focused spot, it also means that the mirror is somewhat delicate.

From the testing we conducted here at HQ, we determined that many of the optical cleaning wipes and household cleaning supplies could cause damage to the reflective coating, without causing visible scratches. Even small bits of dust on your wipe could damage the mirror if a cleaning cloth is reused.

That’s why we recommend cleaning your mirror with PEC-PADs and IPA, using a fresh portion of the PEC-PAD for each wipe, and only cleaning the mirror when absolutely necessary.

Yeah, I know, I know. I was posting in case there are people like me who are against the wall. (ie: printer not working, support not resolving.) I had put in a support ticket but the issue was not resolved and the recommendation was using the document you guys have linked to (in regards to cleaning the mirror). In fact, cleaning the mirror with the PEC pads wasn’t working. I suspect the edges of the pads were being flayed by the edges of the mirror and the rough edges left when the black frame of the case was cut. Even being extremely careful, it was easy to stir up as much new contamination as was being removed by the pads.

It would be nice to be able to remove the mirror from the printer for cleaning.

When I first received the printer, I was at 100% success. It degraded to 0% over the course of a few months. After using the PEC pads, I was at about 10%. And now with the swiffer, I’m at about a 95% success rate.