Some test jewelry prints - rings

Ok I just did the same. Will keep my form1 for now to see what they come up with castable resin wise. But this new printer is looking mighty fine to me right now, especially if it casts well. At least for small parts, since the print area is so tiny.

On another note: I just calculated that I spend more than a $1000 trying to get the form1 resins, blends, other resins to cast and on other quality issue test prints, supplies, etc.

I knowā€¦if I add my time and aggravation, failed prints, failed castings I am getting close to 2 3DS printers

how did the digital wax resin print ? I know you said the were softā€¦what was the detail likeā€¦did you try any post curing

The print on the digital wax resin was not good. The shapes came out good, however the surface was all ā€œfuzzy and bumpyā€ looking. Like a deliberate texture was applied. Very similar to printing with the b9 resin by itself in the form1. The small details were gone. I believe the curing wavelengths are different. I posted some photos on the other thread. The only thing I liked about that resin, is that itā€™s crystal clear when uncured and turned into milky white when cured, so it was easy to spot half cured pieces floating in the resin.

Darn,

Hey guys,

Sorry to intrude,

Im conducting a little bit of a survey. After going trough plenty of posts im noticing a pattern hereā€¦ it seems like the form1 is simply unable to print large models with any amount of consistencyā€¦

If you have been able to print large models consistently, say more than 5 without a fail, please let me know here:

https://support.formlabs.com/entries/34042718-Layers-Sticking-to-Tank-Failed-Prints-and-More-?page=1#post_24682383

Perhaps contact madesolid.com who are the resin guys for form1. They appear to be super responsive and are experts in resin development. I have ordered a couple of different colours from them to test, just waiting on them arriving. Tell them what you are after and perhaps they can turn their minds to it.

MadeSolid is offering a casting material specifically for the Form1 now.Ā  http://madesolid.com/casting-resin.html

Hey Tom,

Do you work for MadeSolid? Are you on their payroll? Please donā€™t spam the threads. We all know about the ā€œpre-order for the castable resinā€.

No Iā€™m not on their payroll. Only participated in their resin campaign.Ā  Iā€™m grateful to them for things like sharing how to replace my PDMS layer myself.Ā  I doubt Formlabs would ever do that.

They help you change the PDMS because they donā€™t sell resin tanks. Formlabs does. Also, when people start changing their own PDMS, and donā€™t do it properly, it will still not stop them from blaming Formlabs for the print failures.

Also, I used the black resin and it caused permanent marks on the resin tank from just 1 print. Iā€™m assuming thatā€™s why they want you to be able to change the PDMS.

Hi MD. Could you share with the forum your support settings? Density, point size, flat spacing, base thickness, slope factor and height above base? I understand you added some supports manually, but I cannot tell by the picture the point size and the spacing. Great job and great pictures by the way. What lens are you using?

For jewelry, unfortunately I canā€™t use the Preform software for putting the supports and get good results. I either make my own supports or use the b9 software at the moment to do that. I found that I can get away with putting 0.03mm support tips for overhangs and the prints come out fine. I wish preform would give us more control over support tip thickness, support shapes and thicknesses and positions. All the other parameters you are asking for depend on the item type unfortunately, so there is no set template.

1 Like

Great info MD.

Hi Monger Im a jeweler also i been following youre posts for quite some time, i finally purchaed a used Form 1 on ebay ,just recieved the ups delivery today.did you use the Form1 or form1+ on those prints?

Hi Johnny,

I used the form1 for those. But the black resin ones are printed on the form1+

The surface quality and the detail Iā€™m getting on the form1+ is much better. You should think about getting the upgrade. You wonā€™t regret it.

Has anyone tried the MadeSolid FireCast resin yet? They made it for investment casting.
Might be a good alternative until FormLabs comes out with theirs.

Hi Iā€™m Steven From Indonesia

iā€™m currently new for using form1+

iā€™ve tried to print using a castable resin
but the thing is, is the resin still feel sticky after you washed it using IPA
is it okay to cast it like this, or i have to do something else

thanks

Have you looked at the Using Castable Resin guide?

For best results, the guide says to post-cure the part in a UV chamber for about 2 hours before casting.

Mongter Designs,
How do you get your custon suports?
Looking at your models the suports are minimal/
Iā€™m a jeweler with just a few weeks experience with the form 1
Any help I can get will be Great.
Robert