Some test jewelry prints - rings

I would of went with the b9 cherry for jewelry.

The details from the cherry are far superior from any resin from form labs.

Hey Monger - when you say you made rubber molds - did you use a liquid or vulcanized? If vulcanized, I’m curious how the prints held up to the heat, how they were to cut out etc.

Thanks.

Do be honest, it was a small pineapple charm print and it was a vulcanized rubber mold. The model did crack (maybe because we used too much heat) but the mold came out perfect. I will post some pictures of the final casting once I get a chance. I haven’t done any further tests with rubber molds, but it seemed promising. The liquid mold should work better, but I hear they don’t hold up as well.

@Anthony. The problem with using the B9 resin alone in the form1 is that the b9 resins are too liquid and do not hold the pigment well. And since the Form1 doesn’t mix the resin like the b9 during printing, you get degradation of the print as the print progresses. By adding a little of the form1 resin, seems to fix that.

I made a new mix using the a 2:1 ratio of the b9 red with the form1 grey and the result is much better. Will post some photos soon.

Here are the prints using the new mix (2:1 ratio of b9 red with form1 grey). Looks promising and sharper than just the grey alone. Now lets just hope these can be casted. Will find out at the end of next week.

MD!..MD! you are pushing the envelope my friend and it’s very exciting to see as a jewellery designer myself. Great work and as always GREAT SHOTS!

By the way, if you are going to compare to the grey prints above, those were printed at the 25 micron setting, and these are printed on the 50 micron setting.

Even at 50 micron, I think these printed much better.

That is the surface quality I was hoping to see from the Form1 and if these cast well, the world is your oyster : )

Thanks Jesse. The casting will show if it was worth it or not :wink:

I may have to order the b9 cherry to test that one also.

I find it interesting that on the b9 cherry/red resin pages it states that it is good for casting and vulcanizing, is it possible to have these two important traits (for jewellery manufacturing) embedded in one resin?

I found the b9 resin to be more brittle than the form1 resin. I think it’s great for casting (tried it) but I doubt you can vulcanize it. But then again, there so many resins out there for that. Castable resins on the other hand
 not so many.

When I was working with EnvisionTEC materials like WIC100 (wax/polymer hybrid) and PhotoSilver (ceramic/polymer hybrid) by the time those materials were landed, they cost $1000/liter, so any of these other resins at $100-$300/liter are great value.

@Monger Designs

I know however what I essentially was trying to say was that you should try the cherry resin instead of the red with the form resin.

Detail wise 25 micron prints from the b9 with cherry vs 25 micron prints with the form labs with any of their resin is a difference of night and day.

The b9 details are far greater, the resin may be weaker but for casting  jewelry detail is key which b9 is superior.

Not to mention the x and y resolution is higher on the b9

@ Anthony. First of all, I have seen the b9 25 micron prints in person and casted them, and while the surface quality is much higher, the stepping artifacts are much worse the the form1. The 25 micron print of the b9 is has more stepping artifacts than the 50 micron print on the form1. This may be because the b9 is just too sharp? I don’t know, but stepping artifacts are not good for jewelry casting. The bottom line is, the form1 is much higher resolution and smoother transitions from layer to layer, while the b9 can do smaller details with better surface quality (because it cures the entire layer at once). Hope that makes sense. Also, how can the x and y resolution be higher on the b9? It is a set resolution of 1024 x 768. The form1’s x and y resolution is unlimited. You are mixing resolution with minimum feature size. That one goes to the b9.

Well
 Bad news for the castings. They did not cast very well. It seems like the form1 resin does some nasty crap during the burnout, no matter how little you mix with the b9 resin. The b9 resin by itself casts nicely. Will be printing using the b9 cherry resin by itself today. If it works, will cast that this week.

Some photos of the Ash under a scope. my guess is a thickener of some sort anhydrous silica maybe

There is a solution for jewelers and it has castable resin and costs $4900

If you want to join the dark side that is

http://www.3dsystems.com/3d-printers/professional/projet-1200

I just ordered some sample prints from 3DS
I can do 4900 if it cast nicely

I would rather have some resins to test from Formlabs though

after cleaning all the optics mine is printing quite nicely

Hey Kevin,

How do you order the sample prints? I couldn’t find it on their website.

I called, then they send you to the Rep for your area.

a pain in the butt