After a few smaller tests I thought I would get to printing something a little bigger, and this shark was a great test for the printer! He is printed in 3 sections, in 2 prints. Tail went first just to make sure it was all working ok, and then I printed the head and body on another print (but the two pieces were left separate). I’m very pleased with the results! Captured the sharp edges well. I just let the support settings be default because I’m still getting familiar with the printer, but I’m thinking I could have gotten away with less.
50 micron setting
Tail took 8.5 hours to print 32 ml (I did not bother to hollow it)
Head/body took 13.5 hours to print 115 ml (I did not bother to hollow it)
modeled by me
Company credit and design: Dot & Effects
The model is primered… i ran out of grey after the tail, and switched to white… but then ran out of that too! So that’s what is causing the speckeled look. I only did a tiny bit of sanding to the tail edge where the supports were attached. But the other support areas I haven’t cleaned at all so you can see a bit of the marks still.
The upper fin had an error on the print where a long support stopped building half way through the print. The fin is supposed to come to a point. I should have printed the upper and lower fins separate with a connection but just figured I’d go for it to see what would happen. Also, it turns out that support was on the peel side so it had the most force on it. I should have had my print rotated on the build platform.