Restoring a Form 2-3 build platform

Have you ever looked at your scratched up mess of a build platform and thought, “Maybe I should just buy another?”

I found a simple way to restore the platforms to like new status quickly and easily. It takes about 5 minutes and you will need a sanding block, some sand paper, and access to a sand blaster.

Here is my nasty scratched up build platform:

Wet sand it with 250 grit and 600 grit sand paper using some dish washing detergent as a lubricant. Rinse and dry it off completely. It doesn’t need to be perfectly scratch free. I only sanded this for maybe 1-2 minutes.

Sand blast the surface. In my case I have 220 grit loaded so the surface is a little smoother than stock. When done, wash the platform in soap and water again, then dry. 50 or 100 grit would make it look and feel completely stock.

Here is a comparison between the refurbished and a brand new unit. The whole process took me maybe 5 mintues start to finish.

Happy printing!

Looks really like a new one again!

But very often a scratchy surface helps sticking parts to it.
Very often I have to prepare the surface to get more rough and that helps a lot if the platform starts “loosing” parts on the tank foliage.

Greetz
Chris

Fortunately I don’t have a problem with parts sticking - quite the opposite in fact. Parts printed directly on the platform tend to break off and leave thin sections on the build platform that have to be aggressively scrapped off. Rafts can also be hard to remove, especially lots of mini-rafts. With the surface refinished, they release about the same as stock, which is slightly easier with less breakage in my case. I can pinch off the mini-rafts with cutters more easily too.

Sanding this again with 600 grit will simply yield a smooth sanded surface if more surface adhesion is needed.

What do you use to detach the prints from the BP? I use this: https://www.moermangroup.com/en/window-cleaning/products/accessories/pocket-scraper
Blades beveled on one side would be beter, but properly tilted the standard ones work flawlessly. You need to apply forward as well as downward force.

@microdev That refurbished platform looks nice. How much “thinner” would you say that build platform is now? Have you already printed again with that platform?