Resin tank cracking and breaking in one area

The silly thing is it’s not fixed yet. The fix requires a tiny amount of material be milled off of one corner on the core side of the mold. Put it on the bridgeport, dial it in, and run a 2 minute cnc program to blend off that corner. No idea why it’s still an issue.

1 Like

Completely agree Christopher. Seems strange that it hasn’t been taken care of yet. :confused:

So far my new tank is holding up. I had taped it up prior to printing. Time will tell,
Personally I wouldn’t mind a tank wall that is make of pvc or abs that would be more durable Not that tough to look in the top to see a fill line.

Has the tank cracking been resolved? I’ve thrown two out, and all the remaining tanks I have, including the replacement tanks, have cracks. I’m about ready to buy more resin, including purchasing new tanks, but I prefer to wait until this cracking problem has gone away. It would also be nice if Formlabs improves the longevity of the tanks. It’s very expensive to have to replace the tanks for every two bottles of resin used. So far I’m still on my first bottles and I’ve already thrown out three tanks. All cracked, two with having cloudy internal surfaces.

Been a couple months printing and the clear packing tape seems to be doung the trick here. No cracks or chips yet.

Hi All,

I think I have discovered the problem and it is avoidable. The solution is two parts:

1. Don’t allow resin on the top of the tank (between the lid and the wall tops). It creates a sticky bond between the lid and the tank. Then when you pull the lid off it holds more than it should. If it sticks and you pull on the right tab you create a huge lever arm on the tank wall. This will break the thin section. Most times I have seen resin on the top of the tank its because someone checked for build failures with the spatula and then scraped it on the tank wall to clean it.

2. Always pull from the left tab or from the back corner first and then together. Pulling from the right only will creates the lever arm regardless.

The crack happens to me too. My crack is from the corner of the tank and has a large size, which led to spills from the resin tank. It is unbelievable to find out a huge crack as the machine is new and the resin tank has never been taken out from the machine.

I definitely recommend that you get in touch with our support team so they can take care of this for you.

Jory