Resin painting or welding?

How do you use and store your resin? We are using clear resin to apply a coat to some of our printed prototypes. I’ve looked, without success, for a brown glass jar for the resin. This morning I had an idea; why not print some cups & lids? The attached stl files are for cups that cover 6 different amounts of resin. They are 1" d., 1.5" d. & 2" d., each with 2 different depths. There is a lid for each size. I’ve included an stl file for each size. They are oriented such that all three will fit in the build chamber of the Form 2. You will have to move them around a little, but I caution you against using the auto layout function, it created clashes when I tried it. I’ve attached a jpg showing my layout. I will use black resin for its light blocking capability. I intend to use plastic spoons to place my selected resin in the cups and I found a package of 50 ‘artist’ :slight_smile: brushes on the big A for less than $10. I don’t intend to clean brushes! Let me know if you use this system with any success.

Scamp

Resin painting cup-1.stl (220.2 KB)
Resin painting cup 1-5.stl (255.0 KB)
Resin painting cup 2.stl (464.8 KB)

NOTE: The little cones are there to shift the models up in order to successfully print without the raft, which I hate. There is one in each stl to allow individual printing if desired.

Genuine question : why applying clear uv-curable resin when you could spray a protective layer of a clear acrylic lacquer/paint ? There are some that are specifically designed/advertised to block UV, even though all acrylics are somewhat UV absorbant.

Genuine answer. We want something that fills rather than coats. Resin is more viscous and is the same as the base material. These parts are prototypes of future injection molded parts for our products, They need to be bonded and contain pressure. Acrylic sprays don’t bond well and thin coatings fail in shear. We need to test as “Real World” as we can. It’s not just about appearance.

Cautionary note: The cure takes a LONG time! A single coat ~3/4 tsp carefully applied, to a 5.375" circle, wasn’t fully cured after 4 hours @ 70C. I reset it for 8 hours and restarted it. It is as clear as acrylic which is the goal. Luckily we don’t need more than one for the prototype test.