Questions about gray resin

I have found myself in new, uncharted territory…since I do mostly jewelry, in the three years I’ve had my Form 2, I’ve never used gray resin. I have some questions.

1. The print seemed to take about twice as long at 50 microns as my usual castable resin. Is this normal?
  2. I can’t find any information about curing. The gray resin page on Formlabs’ site does not mention curing, only an IPA bath. Another source I found online says the non-pro version of gray resin requires curing, but Formlabs’ site doesn’t mention curing, with curing only required on pro version. Does gray (non-pro) resin require curing?
  3. The prints are a little tacky…it is rainy outside and humid, but will these ever harden on their own?

I just bought a Form Cure and am looking for something to cure.

Any insight appreciated!

1 Like

I remember from awhile back that I was supposed to leave castable resin in the IPA for 10 minutes, agitate a few times, then switch to the cleaner IPA, agitate, and let it sit another 10 minutes. I haven’t seen any directions for the gray resin with regards to times…

Many thanks for your reply!

1 Like

That 10/10 minute time applies to standard Grey resin as well! If you’re experiencing tackiness after both washes, that’s an indication that you’ll probably need to switch out your IPA because it’s starting to get saturated with resin.

Grey cure times are 30min at 60 degrees..

I’m not 100% sure about the print time differences between Castable and Grey but I’d be happy to ask around the office a bit for you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve found at the same resolution, 50 microns, it’s taking about twice as long. I’ve never had any jewelry prints take over about three and a half hours, but gray with a comparable print took well over six hours.