Not so Magic Wand AKA One Click Print

Having failed to print a part (big sections of walls missing, supports build but with nothing on them, I thought I would try the “One Click Print” magic wand tool.

Have ing allowed the program to automatically orient the part, which seems to take a bit of time whilst it ponders the best option, and build the associated supports, I sent to print.

Yet another failure, even with brand new tank and cartridge. Again, big sections of the part missing.

I thought I would just compare what I had created manually with the “One Click Print” file, then realised I hadn’t saved the “one click” version before printing, no problem I thought, I’ll simply reload the STL and select the “one click” again.

But PreForm generates a totally different orientation. And again!

and not subtle differences, so from this way up…

To this…

So, what is PreForm doing if every part has multiple “optimum” calculated orientations?

I could sort of understand if I was printing a dice, that many orientations would be similarly “optimal”, but I’m not.

I like your nickname :smiley: Forget about one click print, I have never used that. Learn how to orientate your model best and orientate it even in your 3D software not in Preform. Look at size of supports, default can print I think on everything, I usually use 0.5mm for bigger prints, for smaller 0.35-0,45 mm. Also look at cups that is very important, because when you print cup down to resin tank it create suction force when built plate goes up and that can rip off your model from supports. Solution? Make cup orientated other side to build plate. And if it print supports and not your model than usually it is old resin tank, if that is not the clue than its dusty glass in printer(find on formlabs how to clean it). And if there is nothing above than contact support and pray to God that you dont have to clean inside something :smiley:

A small point about Preform and cups warnings. Preform often misses a clear pathway for air to escape, and resin to drain…

I’ve found the software thinks there are cups where they don’t really exist, and the print will succeed or if it fails, for other bona fide reasons.

If you get a warning, just go through the slices and judge for yourself.

Thanks for your response, yes, “forget the One-Click Print” is where I thought this might be going.
I assume by size of support, you are referring to the touchpoint size, and there I’m assuming the bigger the better as far as building is concerned, just more of a pain to clean up. I was using a relatively large 0.7, but still seemingly endless fails. It often seems to build supports with nothing on top of it.

Yes, I did assume that the cups, particularly with a part like this that is literally cup shape, could be a big problem, but as it doesn’t build the base of the cup until the last few layers, not an issue with this one I don’t think.

But something is, becasue we get this sort of effect on about 70% of prints currently

I have also followed the cleaning instructions, tried a new tank and cartridge. We just to be down to one Form2 out of three that actually produces anything like reliable output.

But from what you say, the “One Click Print” is not something to use.

Post your model, your base looks good and supports? Maybe its 3D model problem? If the mesh is not closed and solid you can have artifacts like this

OK, manually oriented and printed on our “Lucky Printer” and seems to have finaly printed perfectly overnight. So, perhaps we just have to use only one of out three Form2s.

So I’m going to say not a 3D model issue - it all had very even 2.0mm walls, so should be plenty thick enough…

Anyhow, thanks for posts and advice… I will leave the “magic wand” tool well alone from now on, seems like a magig sabbotage tool!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.