Modify the peel displacement profile to improve reliability

Others have observed as have I that printing on the hinge side of the tank (left) is more reliable than on the right. I have noticed that when you try to pull an adhesive label off a bottle if you do it slow it peals off clean, however if you do it fast it often leaves blobs of adhesive or tears. This is due to the flow and release characteristics of the adhesive. When you pull fast it  acts like a solid when you pull slow it has time to flow and deform and releases without fracturing the adhesive or paper. Kind of like silly putty or the starch and water as shown by Mythbusters. Modify the peal speed and displacement so the peal move starts slow and speeds up as the tank moves. So the line of separation experiences the same rate of separation all the way across the tank.  Based on the pivot point and the length across the tank is should start out about 1/4 as fast as it ends. Since the mid point of the tank does not have many problems set the beginning speed to 1/2 current speed and the ending speed to twice current speed. That would produce a much more uniform peal strain and hopefully more reliable prints over the whole area of the tank.

Ron, still wait’n on my Form1 but had noticed the issue you highlight here, an oh so simple possible software fix rather than hardware brilliant. I hope it works although it may increase build times?

Get testing Max!

I noticed that printing an item on the hinge side is the best also, however if you print an item on the hinge side and at the same time an item on the peel side, then the peel side item is always at risk at failing or being damaged.

On the other hand if you JUST print an item on the peel side, without anything on the hinge side, then it comes out fine.

If you print a relatively large item on the hinge side, then those can fail too. The large items, i put in the center for the best prints.

Overall, I would say the peel mechanism needs work, and I hope they can fix it with software updates.

Max (@ Formlabs)

also incorporate Clay Cowgill’s suggestion into the mix as well under the post “Adaptive peel cycle depth/duration”?