Maker Juice resin does not seem to work well in Form 1 (but pigments work pretty great!)

Tj, did you ever get around to trying another print with a little less pigment? Dean, Josh, thanks for taking a serious interest in trying to supply products that work with the Form1!

No, not yet. I’d been pretty busy trying to print some other parts and working on the write-up for version 1.1 of the Stress Test part. I did manage to try the opposite, though, loading up the resin with a LOT of pigment, in an attempt to focus the laser spot and see if I could get sharper features. That didn’t work out too well. The resin becoming more gooey and failing more. I had to give it a shot, though…! lol

I just received another shipment with a bunch of pigments and a liter of Maker Juice uncolored resin (thanks Josh!) that I’ll be playing with soon.

Tj, when can we see some new tests with the maker juice resin? It will be cool to know if we can use that resin in the form1. When I emailed Josh, he said that he can also put less photo-initiator to keep the resin from curing too fast.

Unfortunately, at this time I don’t have a time frame for new tests. Reason being my printer is failing so many prints that I’m struggling to get anything off it at all, which has been holding everything back. I’m getting something like a +90% failure rate at the moment. I’m going to contact Formlabs about this very, very soon (like tonight) because I’m starting to wonder if my printer’s gone bad or I have defective resin or something. I’ll be testing more after I get this sorted, but till then I’ve had to put everything else on hold. :frowning:

Did you start getting lots of failed prints after updating to the latest software? That’s the impression I get on my printer, and I heard from Formlabs support that they are aware of the issue and working on improvements for the next release of the software.

Partly. I’ve noticed that while 0.025mm prints were printing a little more reliably, 0.1mm prints were failing just about every time. It was the opposite in the previous version. I’m mostly still working with the older version for 0.1mm prints since printing with the new version is almost a guarantee that it will fail. Some of the failed prints have started to damage the silicone in my new tank, too, which is making things even more difficult.

Ooo, not good. Have only printed relatively small and simple objects at 0.1mm so far but no failures yet with the clear. What sort of failures? Delamination? I note Hirudin was having a lot of problems also.

I’m not sure if delamination is the same as layer separation, or if that’s when layers flake off the sides… in either case, I’ve been experiencing both problems.

It almost seems like the resin just isn’t curing hard enough to resist the pull of the peel process. I’ve had large, flat areas of resin pull away from the rest of the part, ruining the entire print or resulting in snowball failures, parts pulling off the supports, and flakes of cured resin separating from walls. This is all while the printer’s printing, not during or after the alcohol bath or anything.

That sounds a lot like the problems Hirudin was… is experiencing. Lets hope it’s the software settings on the laser. If you’d let us know what comes of your conversation with FormLabs that’d be really appreciated.

I’ll certainly try to keep everyone posted on this matter. That’s a matter for another thread, though. :slight_smile:

Totally!

Anyone tried SPOT A resin material? They do have elastic material.  http://spotamaterials.com/?product_cat=photo-resins

Hi Tj,

How is it going with your printer, will you have to send it back ?

Thanks for sharing your findings :wink:

I’ve been in contact with Jory over at Formlabs who’s been very helpful with troubleshooting my printer, but it looks like my unit is experiencing problems that they’ll need to investigate in person. DynamicCoyote’s gotta go back. :stuck_out_tongue: