Is this a skipping lines or something else?

Hi All,

i just received a sample print from someone print seems ok ,but there are some skipping lines or maybe something else. can anyone tell me what are these lines ?

Its printed @ 100microns, height - 40 mm , printed straight with supports in Form 3B

Can anyone reply please ? it would be helpful

Thanks
Regards,
Sumeet

Looks like layer shift. Perhaps the model was not supported enough.

Is this original formlabs resin? It looks a bit too “shiny”.

okay, actually i got this sample print form one seller of formlabs i will ask them what resin they used to print this.

However i got another print from one more seller he send me this print both are different in color. i dont know why.
This one printed @ 50 microns.

Does it mean if i will print straight with lower supports , the horizontal lines will come in all prints ?

1 Like

You have to realize that designs are ‘sliced’ horizontally. Vertical curves are miniature steps based on the resolution you choose. At the typical 0.100 mm step, the horizontal lines and steps will be quite pronounced. Some people use solvents to soften these lines and you can get a smoother looking print. At the 0.050 mm resolution, you get a much smoother print, but under a microscope, the lines are still present. All 3D printers do this. But it’s the resolution and post-process that helps determine the final quality.
Some resins have different resolution capabilities. For example, some of the more common resins can print below 0.050 mm. Formlabs Surgical Guide cannot go below 0.050. It just depends on laser beam size, light absorption, and machine. BTW, this isn’t restricted to SLA printers. I have yet to see a printer that doesn’t slice horizontally.

1 Like