Improving the bottom surface of prints

After numerous prints, I have that the biggest limitation of the form 1 is getting a good surface at the bottom layer of a print.  I have been using the auto supports and have tried various settings with similar results:  The surface has peaks and valleys dependent on the location of the support points.  This is understandable as the bottom layer is effectively floating in the liquid where its not directly connected to a support.  Have people found tricks to minimize this effect?  Is this dependent on the resin used (I’ve been using gray) or the resin color setting?

Thanks,

Steve

I have dealt with that before. I just did lots of wet sanding and created a nice smooth surface. Of course it would be awesome to not have to do all the manual labor sanding to finish the model but considering the current state of 3d printing and what this printer can do I’m satisfied for now.

Steve, you can minimize this issue by avoiding large flat surfaces oriented horizontally. This section shows what I mean: https://support.formlabs.com/entries/23388606-Model-Orientation#angle but 10-20 is a minimum recommended angle. The surface will be even better if it’s at 30-45 degrees (although this uses more support material). I can’t see the back side of your model, but I might orient it more on it’s edge with 1 corner downward (the ultimate goal being to minimize rapid increases in surface area from layer to layer).

I would also recommend orienting the part so that the supports touch a non-cosmetic surface if possible, or an easily sandable surface if you can’t hide the support tip locations. If you’re planning on sanding a flat surface down anyway, you can always add a millimeter to the model and then sand it back to the desired geometry.

Thanks for the input Jason.  Building parts at an angle completely solved the issue.  Now it totally makes sense why the auto “orient all” puts objects at angles.

1 Like