Idea - Laminar Airflow Chamber

Dear Community,

Please have a look to my idea.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd7oL_qFew3/

Do you see the need of this champer? Or is that to oversize?

Thanks
Best regards
Chi

I don’t really see any benefit. Meaning, the current printer doesn’t cause any smell or pose any unusual flammability problems. are you a biology person? This looks like the bio hoods they use.

However, for disclosure, I am also someone who does allot of production parts, and I am also not a big fan of their “Form Cell” idea. While SLS does a great prototype part, there are considerably easier and cheaper ways to make production parts than to print them out on thru SLS/SLA. I do some low quality functional parts on Stratasys Fortus machines (FDM), but that is about it.

Excuse me!? Have you tried printing with anything other than Standard resins? The smell is extremely strong especially when printing Flexible resin.

Thanks tgatliff for your point of view. This information help me to evaluate this idea. Iam engineer for Medical and Aerospace components. I have bought an used form1+ few weeks ago.

What iam thinking is, to have an stable longterm production process is an dust free and fix temperature important.
Yes. The printer doesn’t cause any smell or pose any flammability problems when it is printing. But bevor and after the print you have an open printer which is a risk for dust and some resin smells. Also the cleaning in over 1liter alc. is not really safe. Also i do some sandpaper work and thats resin particels flys. But I have not a lot of space and i would be happy to have an safe clean space (also for the waste).
Maybe some of the dentist can share their thinking.

Thanks
Br chi

Laminar flow is great when you need to get your hands in there and work on something while it is off gassing. In the case of these printers it would be easier and much more cost effective to just build a closed cabinet. This would require a lot less airflow so it would be quieter + more energy efficient. Reduced airflow would mean longer intervals between filter replacement. Being closed would also muffle any sounds from the printer.

Just my 2¢

Are you thinking of trying to make a product? I don’t think it’s really a viable idea.

I am bothered by the smell of some resins and am naturally suspicious of VOCs (even if the MSDS looks good) - my position is better safe than sorry. That said, I can pick up a surplus fume hood from an equipment dealer around here for pretty cheap. Instead I made my own enclosure out of 80/20 quickframe with an air purifier.

Hepa filter is insufficient.

The chemicals that the resins give off in small quantities will not be filtered out by HEPA- that’s just a filter small enough to trap very small particles- NOT chemical fumes.

moreover- where is the filter? At top or bottom of your drawing? Are you trying to clean the air around the printer? or the air you are breathing?

What you need to clean the air of fumes is an activated charcoal or carbon filter. Those can be expensive if you buy them thru a commercially sold 'fume extractor" manufacturer… but you can build your own pretty affordably.

Here’s my rig.
filter-1

I bought a used grey steel cabinet with black shelves to help keep extraneous light to a minimum, And cut a 4" hole in the top.
I modeled and printed a flange with hose couplings and screwed that on top with a gasket.
Inside I mounted a shelf to hold a 4" port industrial activated carbon filter with a 1.5" thick carbon layer so the filter should last at least a year. These are sold online by outfits that supply indoor pot growers to keep the stank of their sinsemilla from giving them away- they run around $24 to $40 each… and should last a long time.

This is ducted to a 4" inline axial fan that is whisper quiet- and actually comes with a temperature sensor probe I mounted in the cabinet just to monitor the interior temp- since I also store tanks and cartridges of resin in the cabinet.
filtyer-2

I had tried mounting the fan INSIDE the cabinet, on top of the filter- but I discovered that the EMI from the fan caused the Printer level bubble to go nuts… so I put it outside the cabinet.

On the outflow end of the fan you can see a part I designed and printed to act as a diffuser and to hold a final filter stage- a 6.25" wide carbon filter they make for garbage cans and composting bins. You buy them 6 or 12 at a time for about a buck each.

filter-3

The design passes the airflow thru the center of this thin filter- then again thru the rim of the filter as a final carbon filter stage to eliminate chemicals from the air. It also serves to quiet the fan further.

The overall design runs with the doors to the cabinet closed… the cabinet is NOT airtight… there are gaps between he doors and the various panels of the cabinet that act as the plenum to draw room air INTO the cabinet from multiple areas- while the fan pulls the cabinet air thru the filter and out creating a negative air pressure inside the cabinet so that air only flows IN thru the various narrow gaps.

This rig should easily clean the air of the trace fumes produced by the resins.
if using strong smelling resin, you should not be able to smell anything…
-but be aware that lots of harmful chemicals have no real odor.

The fancy axial fan cost about $170.
The filter cost $24
the vent hose about $8.

The cabinet cost $400 at a used office furniture place.

Compared to a couple thousand dollars plus $200 filters for a commercial fume extractor.

That’s a pretty nice looking cabinet set up you have there. Do you have any concerns about air that is sucked in through the gaps will bring in dust from the environment? I can’t help but think about what I have seen inside most desktop computers.

Well, its as clean as the air in the room-

my office space is 18 by 17 feet… and with this rig running 24/7- it cycles all the air in the space thru the filter over the course of 30 hours… so… the air in the cabinet and in the room at large is cleaner, on average, than the air would be without the filter.

as to dust INSIDE the cabinet- i keep my resin trays with a lid on them when not in use and the cover down on the printer… so its hard for dust to contaminate the resin or the optical window… but again, the filter is constantly pulling air TOWARD the fitler cartridge and the white prefilter around it that I clean every other week. so even inside the cabinet, the air current is washing thru to the filter.

the thing about computers is, their fans are not pulling air thru any sort of filter.
and they are all about cooling the heat sinks, not about cleaning the air.