Health Concerns About Resin Exposure

Should I be concered about operating the Form1 in my small apartment? I sleep in a room next to the machine. I have the windows open, but is it bad to be exposed to the resin long term?

I don’t think so, I hope not… I run a personal machine at home and 3 at the office.
Let’s me update this post in a few years lol.

But in all seriousness, from what I read the formlabs resin I relatively safe on humans, just don’t eat it etc and use gloves.

Here is a little blurb from out website:

Our resins have been designed to be as safe as possible, but nevertheless, working with them requires care, similar to working with common adhesives or household cleaners. They have no strong odors or volatile solvents so special ventilation is not required, though skin contact should be avoided.

You can also check out our MSDS materials here:
http://formlabs.com/en/products/materials/

Gosh everything kills… At least we don’t need a respirator under normal use.

It seems like I do… Not sure if it is just too much IPA that is messing with my head or the resin or both but I seem to get a numb dizzy head pretty easy around the stuff. I use respirators almost all the time but if I go into the room without one even a day later I seem to still get effects…

I have fans blowing towards a window that also has a fan in it that pulls air out but perhaps I am just more sensitive to some of it than others…

interesting. Just make sure not sniff it / smell it. I think it may be the IPA. Although the faint smell of the resin which is rare does draw my attention sometimes.

I like smell of resin :smiley: but is it safe? Is there anything about resin and health issue that is nor formlabs test? They are not objective, even if they know that it harm, I am not sure they would tell you :slight_smile:

We certainly aim to be transparent about any health risks associated with our materials. SDS forms are published for each of our materials and can be found towards the bottom of this page.

Commission Regulation (EU) ? Great! :slight_smile: As I can see its not good to breath this resin :smiley:

ASTM and ISO are working on standards and committees are on the path of Health and safety risks, for now the SLA process should be treated as any manufacturing process, regulations will come in place. Indeed the resins are not highly toxic, as long as you don’t sit next to the machine and have proper ventilation / air circulation it surely won’t kill you. I will love to see FL answer about this subject 7 years later

I’m still putting it in an enclosure with a bofa air scrubber… recirculating setup to keep heat in… as for alcohol- i have a airbrush station (with filter setup) going out the window anyway to evacuate ipa fumes when not painting

I got an air purifier with activated carbon and HEPA filters, which runs 24/7 in the room. Apart from the resin smell (if any) while printing, you may have the IPA around too. Best option is to open your windows, but an air purifier is noteworthy.

actually … I’m putting the printer in a full enclosure and doing a recirculated air set up
this way the air is self-contained and recirculates in the enclosure…

hopefully mostly air tight enough not to leak in the room much
clean filtered air will go back into the enclosure but it would have been cold air…if i used the window…which could effect printing temps