Handheld UV laser

Would one of these be useful for repairing small holes in prints? Is there a model anyone can recommend?

Yes, I have used one and it worked well. I just got a cheap one off of eBay and it worked for a few weeks then died. I would recommend a UV LED light though, they seem to work just as well without the danger of retinal burns.

2 Likes

I bought a 200 mw laser pen and a pair of glasses with the correct amber colored filter and use it all the time.
It came with rechargeable batteries and a charger for the thing was only like $8 more.

The one I got actually has a key so you can LOCK it when not in use so kids or other ne’er-do-wells can’t mess with it.

Mine had one odd thing… it would not work if I put the batteries in as directed. But flipping the polarity of the battery end for end and it worked fine- so someone in the assembly line got the leads crossed on this one.

I love it for its surgical precision. Be aware that UV only penetrates resin so far- so you have to apply resin in thin layers- but with the 200 mw pen it only takes a few seconds to cure the resin in the beam. Lower wattage pens take longer.

'Do not run the laser itself for longer than 10 seconds at a time, or its diode will not last very long.
Give it 10 seconds rest for every 10 you shine it.
Or shine it in 3 second on 3 second off bursts to give it a linger life.

1 Like

A link to one that works well would be helpful.

This is the one I bought
https://burninglaserpointer.com/luciana-200mw-405nm-violet-burning-laser-pointer-interchangeable-lens.html?u=1534482521554

or here:
same unit
https://www.laserpointerpro.com/sharp-eagle-suit-1-250mw-405nm-starry-sky-style-purple-light-waterproof-aluminum-laser-pointer-matchstick-cigarette-lighter-blac-p-3283.html

1 Like

don’t forget safety glasses in the correct color to filter out 405 nm.

1 Like

Thanks for the links to the lasers and safety glasses!

I can’t recommend any of these liability nightmares, and you should wear decent laser goggles any time you even think about a handheld laser, but I can suggest that there are plenty of lower power, inexpensive versions on eBay that should do the job, as well as glasses that should attenuate 405nm light well enough to make you think you’re safe. :slight_smile:

One thing I would do is definitely verify the quality of the protective eye wear. When I bought my auto darkening welding helmet, I got a name brand (Jackson) unit instead of running to Harbor Freight for a $50 special of unknown origin.

The trouble with any of these lasers; whether sold on Amazon, eBay, or the laser pointer web site is that they probably all come out of one or two factories in China of unknown reputation for producing quality products.

Buyer beware is the definite theme with so many imports these days.