Great support + mirror cleaning = faith restored! Death to the Giant Flake(s)!

Well, I haven’t printed that part again… but I DID try something fairly ambitious, more so than that part, I think:

There were a few areas that failed:

1. The yellow marked one was a hollow part that I hadn’t realised was hollow… PreForm did highlight it red, but I thought it was an error (because that part HAS to be solid… right ;)?)
  2. The red marked part I also overlooked… should have been supported
  3. The blue marked part… well, a chunk’s missing, for whatever reason.
    Other than that, it was very good; the only things that bothered me were a slightly curved bottom edge and it being 99.3mm wide instead of 100.0mm… the length was within a half a mm, which for 170mm I thought was good enough. All in all, for my first part, which was so big I had to and could only tilt it one direction, I was pretty happy.

Even the top part of the print came out really nicely:

A close-up of the blue area:

A close-up of the green area:

This was the third attempt at printing this part - the first two attempts looked like this:

After two fails, and scouring the forum, I decided to try raising the part to 10mm (instead of the standard 5mm), as @MarcusKnorr suggested in the surface quality variation thread, as I thought it was probably due to resin starving after peeling, what with both prints failing in the same manner at almost the same place.

That worked wonders… although I did also change a) the resin tank, b) the material and c) the orientation (rotated through 180 degrees about the z axis on the platform)… don’t normally change so many parameters at once when I’m ‘debugging’ anything, but I was a bit conscious of what each failed attempt was costing. May go back and try the successful .FORM file in grey in a fresh tank in the original orientation but still raised 10 instead of 5mm over the base… but for now, I’m pretty happy with the results for such a large part.

Now, if I could just get a) dimensional precision generally to +/- 0.1 (max. 0.2mm), and b) eliminate warpage as far as possible for such panel-like parts , things’d be pretty much perfect :sunny:! Oh… and the back surface was not great… not critical for me, in this case, but I do see what everybody else sees, a sloppy support side. But you can’t have everything, right?!

1 Like