Got my printer, first thoughts

I just finished my first few days of working with my new FormLabs +1.

I want to upload photos and video, but I’m not 100% sure how to do it.

So I’m going to simply try it.

I modeled this in Lightwave 3D (11.6), exported as an STL file and brought it into PreForm. I changed the size, and then printed.

I’m not a newbie to 3D printing, I own several (five) Fused Filament printers. But I think I need to expand my skill set, and the FormLabs printer seems like the next logical step.

Thus, I’m going to try to post a YouTube link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09hL8oFcSwE

And if you want to download the model for free, the link can be found here: http://donfoley.com/3d-printing/3d-print-store

I’m pleased with my first efforts. I went ahead (on my second print, using CLEAR) and using the highest resolution setting…and the output was fantastic.

I still have a lot to learn about this printer, and how to post-process the prints, but my first impressions tell me that I have just stepped into the ‘next’ level of 3D Printing.

3 Likes

Nice work there!

Very Nice print and model! Play around with orienting your model on the build platform though, It seems you’ve used a lot more resin for supports than is actually neccessary. If you orient your model more upright, it should print fine and only use 20% of the support material you’re using right now. Furthermore, it reduces the peel forces on the model as it does not have to peel off such a large area :).

BTW, just wondering. I’m using Lightwave 11.5 myself, but my scaling seems to be off. 1 meter in lightwave is equivalent to 1mm in preform. Do you have the same issue?

1 Like

Nice print Don! And thanks for sharing the video with your process.

Alex, I never had any luck using 'real world measurements in Lightwave. When 11.6 came out, it was one of the things they touted. So after a while I just came up with my own system. I created a virtual ruler and a virtual build box. When I create a new design, the first thing I do is to throw these elements into layer 10 and use them as a background template.

I’m an artist, not an engineer, so CAD precision isn’t critical to me. I created a new build box for the FormLab, and it works fine, but I haven’t done tests to see if the ruler is still correct. Let me know if you want a copy of it.

Thanks Don, however, I don’t need the box. My settings are exactly 1m in lightwave is 1mm in Preform, so it’s an easy conversion ;).

Looking forward to some more designs/prints!