GOT Inspired Catan Pieces

I printed some VERY small Catan pieces I designed, somewhat inspired by the Game of Thrones intro.  I don’t have a Macro lens so I did the best I could with extension tubes.

I’m pretty happy with how they came out, very surprised that the teeny-tiny staircase I put in the upper tower of the city piece actually came out.  I did notice however a few issued with the bases of the prints, there was some less-cured resin and lopsidedness.  It may be that I’m not using enough supports, because I notice this happening exclusively on the support side of the models.

Those are awesome! As you may have seen, I’ve printed a few replicas of the originals. They’re pretty boring.

These pieces combined with the fact that you can dye the plastic might make for a complete (and very cool) set. Any interest in sharing your models?

http://support.formlabs.com/entries/24425962-Dyeing-the-printed-piece-different-colors-

I will share the stl files later, I will probably make some changes before I print a full set. The reason I added the flag pole was so I could use the flags to differentiate the colors so I wouldn’t need to dye or paint them.

I will share the stl files later, I will probably make some changes before I print a full set. The reason I added the flag pole was so I could use the flags to differentiate the colors so I wouldn’t need to dye or paint them.

Oh, I somehow missed the flags. :slight_smile:

That looks like fun! I think I’m going to try to make some too. It’d be really cool to have a set where every piece was a little different. As long as they had roughly the same footprint/height I don’t think they’d be too hard to tell apart. Making 15 roads might be a bit of a challenge though.

Have you played the expansions? I have Traders and Barbarians and it comes with three bridges, six knights, and one wagon per set. At first I thought the road you made was a bridge.

Catan + GOT? Very cool design. Maybe playing some themed Catan will ease the pain while I wait for season 4.

Here is an advanced support setting article that explains the different variables: http://support.formlabs.com/entries/23395888-Advanced-Support-Structure-Settings

With pieces this small, making some adjustments could help with the flaws you are seeing.

Hirudin, further to your answer on another thread, could you enlighten this non-USA resident - is that a quarter or some other coin?! General request, guys - to indicate size, would you mind using a ruler rather than American coinage? 96% of the world’s population, including many Form 1 buyers,  don’t live in the States. Many thanks

Hehehe :slight_smile:

Yeah, that one’s a quarter too. In this one you can actually see “Quarter Dollar” written along the bottom.

Very nice!  What diameter are the flagpoles?  They look extremely smooth; were they printed oriented vertically?  And, if you please, how big are the stairs?

-ah3000mk1

@Hirudin, I have seafarers, but I haven’t played the other expansions, I didn’t know there were bridge pieces, so I may need to design different roads in order to make it a holistic set.

@Paul Herbet, it’s a US quarter, I think all my rulers are standard, so I’m not sure they would help much in this situation.

@Carl The flagpoles are all 1mm in diameter, the road and settlement poles were printed vertically, the city was printed at about a 30degree angle to the platform, and had one support along its length.  They are very smooth, and a bit flexible, I might just build features to put wire poles into going forward.

The stairs range in size, I printed the road (bridge) stairs at 1mm pitch, the settlement (small square) stairs are .5mm pitch, and the small upper lever city stairs (barely visible) are .25mm high.

I will try and get the models up on Thingiverse this evening.

Great stuff!

10/9/13

Hello,

I am a middle school technology teacher. I now have a MakerBot in my classroom.

Would you consider sharing these files so I create a set for my students to play Catan?

Thank you for considering.

Jim Hofmann

jhofmann@newtonnj.org