Gear surface deformation

I’m trying to print some gears but I have this problem:

As you see there is a deformation, like a blob, In addition of that the lower teeth appears deformed.

this is the project:

I tried also other orientations and to change the supports, but without success.

Any suggestions?

Ty
Michele

I am a newbie not a professional
Possibly increase the support density?
or
The room temperature might cause some deformations aswell

Are the deformations at the lower edge of the gear (as pictured in the screenshot?). You might need a few more supports in there.

I agree with Sam here. I’m surprised your part even printed at all with so few supports.

I agree with the Sam and Craig. I have learned that whenever you need sharp edges of corners near the bases or areas that will be exposed to the pulling forces of the peelling action you need to place support near by.

Ty to all for the replies.

I made other tests. Unfortunately the problem stay there also if I add supports or if I change their position.
At least if I countinue to use the 45° orientation. The problem disappears if I put the gear at 90° but in that case the gear streatches out on the vertical line (oval).

For example this is the project with the supports created by default by the software:

And the bad result I got:

I should expect a good result with default supports?
Or in any print if have to make tons of tests to fix it?

There is any test file I can use to check if all is working well and is my design or my printer the problem?

Ty very much
Michele

I would probably stand it up to print, but you say that makes it oval? You can use this test file to calibrate X and Y, and then if it still stretches you use scale to control the Z (height). For example, if it is 1% too tall, you can scale the model down 1% then stretch X and Y both by 1% in the fine tuning tool to cancel the effects on those axis. If height is wrong by more than say .5mm I would contact support if it were me.

trying the test … ty

Done. This is the result:

Make sure your there is no dust in the mirror. Every time prints fail or fall off it tends to be that the resin did not cure properly due to optical obstructions.

It looks like you have a perfect 8cm between the cubes, I would say your X and Y scale is awesome. The cubes look to be the right size, but the typed numbers don’t agree with the visual, I’m assuming there is a missing zero digit in each?
Have you printed the gear totally straight in the air?

@michele_quondam_Inme, I would be happy to setup the .form file if you want to send your STL file to me. I don’t recognize your name from the forums so I assume you may have just got the printer.

The cubes aren’t perfect.

10 mm x 9 mm x 9 mm
10 mm x 9 mm x 9 mm
10 mm x 10 mm x 9 mm
10 mm x 10 mm x 8.5 mm

Yes I printed it at 90°. In that case I got some oval deformation (vertical axis) and in some case I always got the hump like the other test.

Now I’m trying at 15-20° inclination and seems a bit better, but always with some problem.

Ciao
Michele

PS. Ty! I sent you the stl file. Yes I’m new here. I got my printer yesterday :slight_smile:

I sent you a .form file back, good luck.
The height of the cubes in the test file is expected to sink into the platform because there are no supports. But if you get the confidence and chance to print things that don’t need supports, now you know how much to add to the bottom… 1mm. The whole test is like a giant cube, so the 8cm measurement you got trumps the smaller ones. I’d still say your printer is calibrated real good in the X and Y direction. The test does not measure Z scale.

This would be really interesting, expecially for a simple design like this gear. By this way the bottom surface of the gear would be perfectly smooth. Do you think that is possible?

Ty a lot for your project. It works much better. So I have to put much more supports on the starting basement…

Michele

Well the gear does not give you a good handle to remove it from the platform with, so I imagine you would damage it pretty bad trying to pry it loose if there were not supports. Also, the design on the front makes that less than ideal too. Layers that have hollow centers can trap pressure and damage the edges. However your gear is small enough I don’t think you would see any blowout on this print.

I would be interested in seeing another picture if it’s not too much trouble. But I know Form1 owners tend to become photographers :slight_smile:

Sure, as soon I will be at home :smile:

Voilà

Cool, thanks for the picture.