Formlabs next printer?

The very earliest that a new printer would be announced would be end of next year I think, but probably later. Manufacturing is really expensive and complex to get set up and they’ll want to get as much out of each release as possible. Maybe they’ll release a different type of printer before then though, like something targeting a different use.

As for the resin tray–the majority of these types of printers have this issue. Technically, you can replace the PDMS on the bottom for very cheap, like less than $10 of material to replace it, but I don’t know of a guide on how to do that–main thing is getting the amount of material right so that it’s the same level as what a new tray has. It’s also difficult to keep the tray clean so that can be an issue doing it yourself. Part of buying a new resin tray is that you get support–so if it is defective then you can work with customer support.

I’m sure they’re experimenting with new materials and techniques to improve stuff like that, but unless it’s very simple then don’t expect a change until the next printer.
The Carbon3D printer has a different type of technique, where it uses oxygen to create a layer of resin on the bottom of their tray that won’t cure which means there’s no suction on the bottom and it won’t really wear out the material on the bottom. However, their pricing scheme is godawful, they charge an insanely high yearly rental fee and all of their parts and materials are insanely expensive. So it’s not really worth it.

1 Like

Someone send kevinduhe some some free resin! :smiley: or a small commission. Ah yes I saw Kenny Wilson hammer test, while its not scientific it was enough for me. I didn’t see that nozzle test video, pretty cool!

@Zachary_Brackin, Do you think it’s possible for Formlabs next printer to use a similar technique to Carbon3D or are they legal issue like patents stopping them?

Which is better buying Form2 directly from Formlabs or a reseller?

1 Like

:slight_smile:

We bought our printer and support package through a reseller. There was a minor issue with getting our support package registered with FL, but it was resolved in a day or so. Probably 6 to one half dozen to the other.

@kevinduhe do you guys use any post UV curing? If so what do you use. I saw a bunch of DIY stuff but I was hoping there is something I can buy that just works(I don’t mind paying extra for a ready made solution).

PS I already placed my order for the Form2 with some tough resin.

The technique that Carbon3D uses is probably not an option, they’ve filed for a patent so it’s not going to happen.

What would be the biggest development is if Formlabs made an SLS printer. They don’t use a tray but instead build up the print with a print head that places the material and cures it, it can even use multiple materials (like support material). So it has some of the advantages of an FDM printer but with quality similar to an SLA printer. The patent on SLS expired a couple years ago so hopefully someone will do something like that.

still, I think SLA printers could be improved, like instead of printing into a vat full of resin there could be a technique that would create a thin layer of the resin for each layer which would help a number of issues. And I’m sure there will be a better material to use for the bottom of the tray at some point.

There could be patent issues, it sounds like you are describing an Object.

Yeah, Objet is SLS technology. But the patent expired so anyone could make them, they’re just more complicated to create.

Objet is NOT SLS. It’s PolyJet. Where do you get this stuff from?

http://www.stratasys.com/3d-printers/technologies/polyjet-technology

Yeah, I guess I’m wrong on the terms, it’s a very similar approach though, but instead of fusing powder it’s just curing the liquid resin, SLS patent is expired but I believe the Polyjet type technology is expired as well

Completely different approach. Can do multi materials and support structures with polyjet. Can’t do that in SLS.

SLS still uses the powder as support. There’s something that Shapeways can probably do that’s similar, there’s several other manufacturers that do similar types of printing as Polyjet

I’m not an expert, if someone says print multiple materials at the same time I think Objet / trade name.

Interesting stuff! I’d always thought SLS was only for metals but plastic powder works with SLS too. I’ve never consider the technology or ever heard of it until now. Checking online Sintratec makes a SLS kit for 4999 Euro still kinda out of my price range and you have to put it together. I’d buy a SLS printer from Formlabs if they ever make one, my upper budget for such a machine would be 4,000 USD.

Polyjets are messier to clean up and the surface quality isn’t as nice as sla. I found the edges to be ratty and rough compared to sla.

@KenCitron, that seems to be the case with the Sintratec prints , resolution is still not up there to SLA prints.

Poly jets prints I had done all had edges that looked like they were sprayed, typical like an inkjet on absorbent paper. What is the Sintratec print?

There was one I saw–can’t remember the model, but it could print very high quality, better than SLA but it printed in wax

Hi @SonKim I built exactly what is seen in the following video:

I have several sized platforms inside the box for larger and smaller items, so they get closer to the lights (for the heat). I know there are much better solutions, however it works for me.

• Kevin

@kevinduhe , thanks - I ordered the stuff and made my curing box. Worked out great!

I’ve been using my Form2 for the past week and printed 5 things successfully. By far the most hassle free experience in 3D printing. I’d be interested in the NexD1 polyjet printer next year if it panes out, if Formlabs has something similar in the works I’ll grab that instead :wink:

Kudos to Formlabs for having excellent documentation covering Orientation and Support, both really important when printing my hollow objects. All I need now is to learn to print without support.

1 Like

Glad to hear you are having such success @SonKim Great to hear it!