Form2 Truly Open Mode discussion

Continuing the discussion from Form2 Open Mode:

Adding my voice to the open up the Open Mode.
A free OpenMode without paying extortion money. (see FSLaser’s Open Resin License) was one of the selling points.
I was rather disappointed with the essentially crippling of some of the best features. Wiper and heater.
Obviously full control of the functions is best but short that, at least enable the wiper and set its speed to some safe value.
Regarding the auto fill/level detection, after some experimentation and reading up on the chip used to detect fluid levels I can see how this would be challenging to implement. Then there is the bite valve and its tendency to spray low viscosity liquids over the resin tray lip.

1 Like

First I would like to say I have no affiliation with FormLabs and also that I own a Form 2 and Form 1 + . I would like to counter your desire to have a completely open mode by saying that Formlabs is simply trying to protect there Brand. They have every right to do that. I work for a large company that fiercely works to protect there brand. Market share in any market today is very hard to come by. Let’s say that FormLabs opens up there machines to use any resins that people want to try. This would be a huge risk to FormLabs because, where will the people call first if there is an issue with that resin printing, FormLabs. Who’s brand name will be brought down? Not everyone can differentiate between a third party resin manufacturer and the machine manufacturer. I understand they are being cautious with making any recommendations beyond using there own resins. They must protect there machines in the field and the slow approach is fine with me. As a consumer I want to find the cheapest and the best as much as anyone. Formlabs is one of the most open and communicative company’s in this industry. They they understand there product better than anyone. I trust that they are not making these decisions lightly. I know FormLabs can speak for themselves but, I get a little concerned when I perceive that the desire for more and more is going faster than the technology is ready for.
Mike Auer
Scout Design and MFG

1 Like

Open mode is already there and is advertized hence why folks like me consider it when comparing equipment.
I am Just asking for enhancements and to make my voice heard.
I also work in computer system manufacturing and suport and recognize that some features are not worth the effort to implement such as the level sensor/autofill. The sensor needs to know the dielectric constant of the resin and the autofill needs to know the viscosity. I would not expect the manufacturer to set these for third party material. although since we are on the subject exposing these values to advanced users would be cool too. But I have not found any reason, yet, for the wiper to not run at a conservative and safe rate with unknow materials.
FL does not recommend using any third party resin, least not that I have found and I would not expect them to.
From a support viewpoint FL already has the third party resin covered in their Exclusions from and Limitation to Warranty statement.
I acknowledge your opinion but respectfully and completely disagree.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.