End-To-End Digital Dentistry: New Materials, Applications, and Integrations

The dental industry is especially suited for 3D printing with each set of teeth being unique. One year ago, we released our first dental material, DentalSG, and today we’re excited to announce two more materials for the industry as well as a new software integration.

Dental Model Resin
The new Dental Model Resin is designed for creating crowns and bridges with removable dyes. It’s a high precision, high accuracy resin capable of consistently producing 35 micron tolerances. The smooth matte finish allows you to easily switch from analog to digital model production. Dental Model Resin is available now from our store and for more information on precision and surface quality, check out the new White Paper on Digital Dental Model Production.

Dental LT Clear
Dental LT Clear is a Class IIa bio-compatible material optimized for use as splints, retainers, and other direct-printed orthodontic devices. This high strength, high wear resistance material can be polished to achieve high levels of optical transparency. Dental LT Clear will be available later this year and you can check out the new dental materials page to receive updates.

3Shape Integration
3D Scanning and model preparation are integral components of a digital dentistry workflow so today we’re excited to announce a new partnership with 3Shape, the global leader in 3D scanning and CAD/CAM software. Dentists can create guides ready for surgery by scanning with 3Shape TRIOS Intraoral scanners, completing the design in 3Shape Implant Studio software, and printing through PreForm.

Coming Soon: 3D Printed Dentures
We’re currently developing an end-to-end workflow for manufacturing high-quality 3D printed dentures. We’re teaming with partner dental labs to validate settings and finalize material properties. Both Denture Base and Teeth Resins will be available in the Fall of 2017.

4 Likes

The Dental LT Clear sounds interesting. Besides being bio-compatible, how does it differ from the standard V2 clear resins properties?

Hi, can you say which software you are using? I have 3Shape Dental and Ortho, with import-export, but was holding off on Appliance Designer until it becomes more capable. Now, with the Dental LT clear, I may need to get that module. In most cases, I think that Blender is far more capable, but still on the learning curve. Probably will be just getting up to speed with it when 3Shape does more magic with that module. They haven’t had much interest in anything but partial frameworks and very basic splints, but with the new resin there will be more and more creative applications that will require a better software package.

1 Like

I just did my first Dental LT print. 0.1mm resolution is a little disappointing but the surface turns out really nice on my parts. These are not standard dental splints, just random small parts.

The first support layers appear to be built with an even lower resolution, something like 0.2mm maybe? I haven’t noticed this on other resins. I know the initial layers are built with lower resolution but these looks particularly low. I am happy for the decreased print times, just wondering if my conclusion is correct or if something else is going on. Anyone else printed with this resin?

@gjgomes Can you post a picture ?

@Frew I have had other people tell me that the Dental LT prints in very low resolution & it takes much longer. Is this correct?

You can clearly see layer steps on the lower support structures but the upper support structure is nice and smooth. This didn’t make my part any worse, the quality was great. Just curious about the first layers.

The print speed of Dental LT is actually faster than Clear V4 for the part I printed.

@gjgomes Thank you for the picture and for print time comparison vs Clear Resin :slight_smile:

Those first layers are actually 0.3mm :slight_smile: This speeds up print times considerably and transitions to 0.1mm when the actual object begins printing. @Johelen the base layers and beginning of the supports are low resolution to improve print times but the actual object itself prints at 100 microns.

2 Likes

@Frew, does this applies to all the resins now?

Awesome!! thanks!

This applies to Dental LT Clear and Dental SG Resin for now. For all other resins, supports are printed at 100 micron resolution regardless of the layer height of the object though they’re not quite up to the 300 micron resolution of SG and LT Clear.

1 Like

This is version 1.0 of MAD appliance (sleep apnea treatment) 100% made in Meshmixer which is powerfull and priceless “dental” software
obraz
And now is printing. Grey resin because it is prototype

I had an issue with my previous version of the preform software, so I had to uninstall and install the newest version of the software. I am not a fan of this version…as far as it being utilized for the Dental Applications. It has taken longer to nest my print jobs and it has crashed on me twice today.

Hi Michal, What you have designed there in MeshMixer awesome. MM is an excellent application that should remain relevant for dental CAD for the next decade. I’m working on a low cost dental CAD module for Blender to help fill the gap between the raw power of meshmixer and the highly constrained (but PREDICTABLE) workflows in the larger CADs. If this is something that might interest you, please send me a private message. Formlabs is really pushing the envelope of what is possible!

Best,
Patrick

Hi Patrick,
We’re a dental lab interested in the CAD module for Blender that you’re developing.
We think that you’re doing a great job and it will be a pleasure for us to test it.
Please send us a private message here corusplint@gmail.com

Thanks,