Drawbacks for new support type

Hi community,

Has anyone experienced problems with the new geometry for the support structures? I have no doubts that the new structure is more reliable and efficient-- but the “branching” nature of it now forms closed loops instead of straight sticks. So, If one is trying to print a highly looped/laced/truss-like complex object, removing the supports is almost a lost cause.

There are essentially two completely-interlocked networks of struts. My support-removal time is longer than print time, and I’m not getting out without broken parts.

I may just be barking up the wrong geometry tree with my prints. Perhaps my only option is to go back to a previous version of PreForm? It’s a shame to think that such a great update would have the caveat of limiting the types of prints that were previously possible…

I’m having excellent success printing with the minimum support “point size” and lowest support “density” settings. Lower density is easier to “untangle” from the print, and minimum point size makes the supports easier to break free particularly in more delicate areas of the print.

I also reduce base thickness to 1.5mm and height above base to 3.5mm, which speeds up the print a bit and reduces resin consumption. The thinner base does no harm to the print, base is base, thickness (beyond some minimum) shouldn’t and doesn’t appear to matter. It is a lot more flexible, though. But I find that is a benefit, it makes it easier to pry off the build platform. I’m not sure I’m doing myself any favors with the shorter “height above” parameter. The print gets started sooner, but the short supports are sometimes hard to access when I’m trying to break one free of the print…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.