Dental nightguard Mirrored

Hi

Sometimes my prints come out mirrored, in this case the left side of the jaw is supposed to be on the right side.

It is in the correct orientation in the Preform software

Why is this happening and how do I fix it?

I haven’t seen this happening in PreForm. However, I have seen this issue occur when exporting your model as an .stl in 3d modeling software. Perhaps that’s where the fault lies?

EDIT: I see you edited your post which makes my statement irrelevant now.

I suppose if that is really happening and it is consistent, you could just mirror your file.

I have never seen this occur with any model I have done. Very odd.

I think it’s because STLs all have to be in the positive quadrant of the coordinate system. Problem occurs on export. I know I’ve seen this happen to me, too. But it hasn’t been a problem in a while and I don’t remember exactly if I did anything to fix it.

If this is the case, then simply scaling by -1 during the export should do the trick.

The files were converted from a *.DCM file (not x-ray) and it seems like all the objects from that conversion tool comes out mirrored. I downloaded some software from the web and flipped the models, so now it comes out just fine. Thanks guys

Ar you use it Inside the mouth ?

It looks like the material used for the night guard is Castable resin? I am curious to know why. I have to use a night guard, it’s made out of a type of plastic, I don’t know what kind, but I don’t think it was necessary to cast it in metal. What is the reason for using the Castable resin?
Thank you

Hello again

A night guard is made out of a thermoplastic material that is casted, the reson why you cast it is because you don’t want any rest monomers, you want the object to polymerise as much as possible. Using this production process you can be sure that the material is accepted for in mouth use. Formlabs don’t have a resin that is approved for in mouth use so this was my way of going 50% digital and 50% manual. Last week the form2 got an open mode, and yesterday I received a third party resin that is approved for in mouth use. Guess what I’m going to do next week :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Our system deleted this reply accidentally. Here is the response from: @Michael_Brai594

Hello again

A night guard is made out of a thermoplastic material that is casted, the reson why you cast it is because you don’t want any rest monomers, you want the object to polymerise as much as possible. Using this production process you can be sure that the material is accepted for in mouth use. Formlabs don’t have a resin that is approved for in mouth use so this was my way of going 50% digital and 50% manual. Last week the form2 got an open mode, and yesterday I received a third party resin that is approved for in mouth use. Guess what I’m going to do next week :slightly_smiling:

Wow, that sounds awesome! Any details on that resin?
Tell us about the results!

What is this resin that you can use in mouth i’m very interrested about.

So here is an update, I can´t tell you about the resin because the person that delivered it told me so. And I don’t want to be the one introducing a third party resin for inmouth use without testing it properly. I’m a researcher and I’m working on solutions in our field everyday so i promise to be more transparent in the future. By the way, so far I have no success with the resin (dimensions are way off and all the resin in the chamber gets polymerised after 2 prints, becomes a gel)

This topic was automatically closed after 12 days. New replies are no longer allowed.