Castable 02 experience

The only failures I’ve had with V2 castable is when I created the supports within Zbrush and not PreForm and missed something, OR I modified PreForm’s supports. I don’t do many prongs, though.

I’ve been using 0.20mm supports (or a little smaller) in Zbrush. I read recently that the laser point size in the Form 2 is 0.140mm (140 microns?). As long as I pay attention to “islands” with the slice viewer, I’ve gotten flawless results. I’ve had failures, but each time, when I go back and look at the slices, there were islands that caused floating “flakes” of resin that caused problems on subsequent layers. The images below show a failed support and the subsequent problem with the resin flakes and random lines/flaws. If the support doesn’t fail, I don’t see these problems at all.

Also, what are you calling failure? Is the machine stopping for a failure, or are they just bad prints?

Are you guys using the recommended 0.50mm layers, or the 0.25 layers (I know that’s recommended for filigree and prongs, if I’m not mistaken).

1 Like

Hi katkramer

How many prints have you done in your v2 castable?

Printfailure might be not sticking to the buildplatform or bad prints, machine itself has never stopped or given me an error.

Im using 0.5 mm

Im seeing alot of flaking in the resing also which is a PITA.

I’ve done alot of testing the last couple of days, comparing the v2 to the v1 and can only say that v2 is much more prone to skewing or buckling under itself or not working properly. Needs more supprots to handle the same thing as v1. When the v2 prints work tho, they are absolutely amazing, but it’s very unstable campared to v1. Lots of stuff that worked on v1 failed on v2.

I print alot and the flake buildup was fast and started to make alot of issues, v2 works it’s not that, but with big volume its just unstable compared to v1 which always just delivers.

1 Like

I was just about to buy some V2 but I guess I’ll finish my 2 containers of V1 first and wait for V3 :or V2+ or what ever they call it

I’ve probably done about a dozen prints with the V2 castable, mostly with the 0.50mm setting (I was skeptical about that…you know, I bought a printer that could do 0.25mm, so gosh-darn-it, I’m gonna print at 0.25mm!).

I’ve had one model not stick to the build platform…BUT…the base was pretty small, maybe 10mmx15mm? It was one of those tall earrings on its own base, and that was my first failed print. After filtering the resin, I started using larger bases with multiple items and have not had a problem since. I am not using PreForm’s bases at all right now because my tiny supports come off much more cleanly and I can place them where I know I’ll have minimal cleanup (I wish PreForm would allow smaller supports, even if it was with a warning).

I did have some problems in the beginning with skewing. I am working on a project where I need near-perfect circles, and when I allowed PreForm to orient and place supports, they were definitely not circular. I know PreForm tries to angle everything, but I’m getting truer results printing the items standing straight up. So according to PreForm and everything I’ve found online, I’m breaking the rules as far as orientation, but it’s working well.

What size objects are you creating?

Hi everyone. I commented in an earlier thread on some issues users were having with Castable V2 and I’ll post that response here.

We’ve noticed that some Castable V2 prints, especially those with smaller rafts, have had issues with delaminating from the build platform. Increasing the footprints of your rafts should help to correct adherence issues. If you’re having problems with delamination, you should contact support so we can help you correct it and also get an idea for its prevalence.

1 Like

One thing you’ll notice about the grid though, is that the crossbars blowout after the first layer or so. That’s because as the platform presses down into the resin it causes more pressure than the structure can withstand. You would probably be better off with simple cylinders, or even just “X’s”, located at the intersections of your grid’s crossbars. That will give the pressurized resin an escape route (and not pollute your tank with small, partially cured resin blobs).

1 Like

And how do we do this ?

Yes, I was using V2 when my “raft” decided to take a trip around the resin tray! Glad to know others had the same problem. My solution was to increase the size, but I’m not using PreForm for the supports anymore. Hey, Frew…is there any possibility of adding a smaller contact point option in PreForm? Mine are down to 0.20mm and they work just fine! I would love to have the option in PreForm.

0.2mm contact points now thats cool - yes please!

2 Likes

I read that the laser contact point is 140 microns on the Form 2, which I believe is 0.14mm, if I’m not mistaken. I’ve had some supports probably closer to that size, and they literally can be pushed lightly with a fingernail and they come off cleanly. For someone making jewelry and doing small prints, having minimal cleanup is really nice.

I am having to use the slicer to make sure that there are not any floaters…but coming out with flawless results. I’m using Zbrush and the Zspheres function to create the supports, then printing without the support feature in PreForm.

Can you go into some detail about zspheres? maybe post some screenshots of stuff you’re doing in zbrush showing them?
Thanks!

Christopher, I wrote a longer reply, but I made a little video (I’ll make a better one tomorrow) and put it on my website so it doesn’t take up tons of room on the forum page. The video’s a little long, but shows two different types of supports. Check it out here.

And OMG…there’s a couple bad edits in the beginning that repeat something about the size of the earring…my apologies on that…new one coming today!

3 Likes

I like how you’ve leveraged the sprue as a support as well, then put the support points on that. Good thinking!

1 Like

(I think adding manual supports also appeals to my nerd side!)

It’s in the IPA bath right now…I printed two, and they are two perfect prints! I’ll update with a pic here shortly…then I’m re-recording. I also uploaded a shorter version of the video that focuses only on creating the supports. I’m working on another one with sprues.

I haven’t used the castable resins but if they are distorting, try taking a measurement when the part is wet and then again after your ipa and post cure. Wondering if the IPA is shrinking it?

Mine is pretty obvious…a rectangular pendant that comes out with sides that aren’t straight, a circle that’s not circular…even after post-curing. I have much better luck printing them standing up. I haven’t noticed any difference with the IPA bath…it’s a problem with the prints themselves.

I’m about to generate one and print it with manually-added supports, so I should know by tomorrow.

Sounds like the machine needs to be adjusted. It should print pretty much perfect in proportions no matter what way the part is oriented. I would send a message to tech support and they could probably figure it out.

I have had pretty good luck with the auto orientation and use that as a starting point. Guess I’m getting lazy with my prints.

I’ve had a bit of trouble with things not being square or round, too, regardless of resin type. I’m also of the opinion that it should come out exactly as it looks in Preform. It does not. I wish it were a calibration problem (and maybe it is) but I fear it’s more likely just the way things are.

The only way I’ve been able to fix it, is to only tilt up on the X and Y by about 15 degrees from flat, and to do it in the right order so that the long side stays parallel to the hinge side.

It’s a shame that a michine that costs so much, still needs to have its foibles worked around.

@katkramer Thanks A lot for the tutorial, your supports are interesting.

I’m wondering the same thing about the orientation, anything I print that is flat, and parallel to the bed, fails very dismally, lately we’ve been experiencing more misprints than before, it’s quite frustrating to look through the slice and see no flaws but the print is just inexplicably failed. On the same print had objects with high detail and they came out much better than some of the more solid objects. I’m still using Castable 01 and the Form 1+ machine, and the main mirror and galvo mirrors have recently been cleaned.

I also noticed that the supports step down, in thickness, and stay this way throughout the print, whenever the supports are perpendicular to the bed has anyone else experienced this?

Have been very happy using castable 02 for over a month.
Things have been well until this weekend.
With very fine prongs the supports did not attach.

Took my castable 01 resin tank and printed the same file and voila,
prongs and supports attache.

Seems to me that a mix of castable 01 and 02 would work well.
Has anybody tried this mix or others that have had good outcome?