Buildplate side panel opening

Been running a Form2 with multiple buildplates for a few years - never had an issue. The last two buildplates (and the one shipped with the recent Form3 purchase) the side panel pops open during print. This means resin inside the buildplate, and IPA getting in there when cleaning. This is terrible quality. Brand new, first use:

Report it to Formlabs Support, if it’s bad enough they might replace, and even if they don’t, at least it raises their awareness that users are having this issue.

If you search the forums some people have filled the hollow with various materials (like expanding foam) to eliminate the problem.

I don’t think there’s much of an argument against a free replacement. It’s a defective part. At best, it’s extra work, and beyond that, it could easily cause contamination when you switch resins.

It’d be easy to repair with silicone caulk, if being an in the field repairman floats your boat.

But I have an issue with FL’s quality control, and I think it’s important for them to be aware of each instance, and own the problem.

As mentioned, please don’t hesitate to contact our support team for this issue at the link below! I don’t think there will be much friction at all to get a replacement!

In the meantime, this issue doesn’t affect the printer’s ability to print in any way, so please feel free to proceed as normal! Just be careful to tilt it when you remove parts in case there’s any resin in there.

I’m so sorry this happened to your BP so quickly as a new user! That’s certainly not the experience we want any of our customers to have, but we’ll get it sorted for you ASAP. :slight_smile:

https://support.formlabs.com/s/contact-support?language=en_US

1 Like