Formlabs Website Store Support

Anyone used the Castable resin yet?

You should be able to use this to cast aluminum. The original manifold you may have seen online was cast in brass. I have a big piece from Empire Robotics we hope to get cast in aluminium, just trying to find a vendor who’s interested in taking it on as a one off. Keep us updated on your results!

I’ve also been talking to a few people who wonder about using our original prototyping resin to produce a sand mold for casting rather than going through the investment process for something like aluminium.

Wow, that is a beautiful piece!

Hey Emil…where can I buy one of those fox rings :slight_smile:

Hi Jory. Glad you like them! We have the rings for sale on Amazon.

The gold plated and rhodium plated fox rings

and the original antiqued silver fox rings

Hi,

How can I achieve images like this. Are these cad images or photos you have taken with a camera.

Thanks

They are photos. There is no single trick to taking photos like that. It just takes time and experience.

After a lot of testing here is a picture of a

ring done with formlab castable resin. The upper part is a polished dinosaurus piece of bone.

3 Likes

@Gantelet_Stephane, well done! It looks amazing!

Can you detail your process? (notably the post casting steps)

Way to go!

This would be such a sweet ring if you out some pear shaped rubies for eyes.

I was thinking of making rings like this but as wedding bands with mamoth tusk ivory or mamoth tooth inlays but the Dinosaur bone looks very appealing. I wanted to make them very small strips 2x2×1 mm and use them as inlays but I haven’t figured out how to cut them this small. if anyone has any good ideas I would love to hear them.

Hi Nadim,
Not really in detail has i had my foundry man doing it for me. What i can tell is curing the resin deep is very important as well as respecting the heat curve of the oven mentionned on formlab recommendations. Still i have some hashes left and the casting is not perfect as it would be with in wax. I’ m about to make a trial with Madesolid xastable resin. Difficult to understand what is going wrong when you don’t know the precise constitution of the product.

Don’t know how to cut it because i bought it already cut !

Hi I am waiting for my printer but have done some casting tests with the castable resin from samples provided by Formlabs. I used Omega Plus from Goldstar powders which is my usual investment powder. I used my normal wax cycle and included some standard wax items on the tree as well as the cartable resin. All cast perfectly.