3rd party resins and resin mixes

Spot-A are sending me a new blend to to use on the form1, I hope to see some promising results.

Hi Gilles-alexandre,

Didnā€™t take pictures because they just look bad. But I did contact them and they confirmed that they opened a bottle from the batch and they got similar results. It was overcuring compared to the black resin they had in the shop.

Here is a test print image they sent me.

They said they are working on fixing the issue and would contact me soon.

Jesse,

Is it going to be castable? What do you want to see as your result that you are not getting with the form1 resin? I think you are better off getting some b9 cherry and mixing with the grey. You can vulcanize that also.

Actually thatā€™s exactly what I want to do at this stage is vulcanize before formlabs comes out with their HD castable resin : )

Whaou, the result between the overcuring batch and the black resin is drastically different ā€¦ If there is such a different between those 2 bottles, that make me wonder if itā€™s worth trying the madesolid bottle.
The price is attrative but if that damage quickly the pdms and from each bottles give differents results, thatā€™s not good.

I know that they have sold a large number of bottles, any other picture from other users ?

Thanks for those pics Monger! Ā Iā€™m glad to know my experiences with it were normal, but unhappy to hear that about the whole batch. Ā I meant to get in contact with them, just have not had the time yet. Ā I just got the email today that the white is supposed to be ready so I hope they fixed the overcure issue.

Hey Guys, just an update. I got a new bottle of resin from Spot-A which as you can see from the picture is ā€œspecialā€ for me because the first bottle didnā€™t work well with my form1. Anyways I am quite happy with the results and I am going to test is for vulcanizing. The resin seems thinner than form grey which I thinks puts less stress on the part during the peel process. Anyways thatā€™s all for nowā€¦not sure about the color though.

1 Like

Jess - thatā€™s great to see the spot folks are standing behind their resin. I havenā€™t tried my Spot HT yet - hope I get the same service as you if needed.

Youā€™re right itā€™s a lot less viscous than the formlabs resin, so I would also expect less peeling strain.

My Madesolid white also arrived today - and that too is really really fluid in comparison to Formlabs resins - interesting times ahead for those of us making larger partsā€¦

That looks good Jesse. Whatā€™s does the cured print feel like? Is it tougher than the formlabs resin? How would you compare the level of detail and the surface quality?

Hey MD, the surface quality seems quite consistant. The print feels quite tacky and defiantly needs post curing, probably not the best practice but I rubbed off the tacky resin from the surface which revels a smooth surface. Also it seems to have more flex than the form grey. I am keen to test for vulcanizing. I donā€™t think we have seen better than your mix yet MD.

I recently ran through a lite of the Madesolid white resin as well.

It may have been my batch, but I couldnā€™t get sharp details to come out on anything, and the material was MUCH more brittle than the clear Formlabs resin, plus the material between my support stalks seemed to over-cure, resulting in a perfect storm of too-strong-supports and too-brittle-parts very few pieces survived support removal :confused:

I have found that the parts need to be very throroughly cleaned in the soap-and-water bath, and then, even after post-cure, need to get buffed with a soft cloth to remove the tackiness.Ā  Once you clear away the tackiness the feel of the finish is really very nice, but so far itā€™s a fair bit of work to get there.

The Madesolid guys have been very communicative and welcoming of feedback, and assure me that the next batch will have better properties.Ā Ā  All in all, Iā€™m glad theyā€™re hitting the ground running with ā€œbetaā€ resins, since the Form 1 ecosystem and community are still pretty naicent as well, as opposed to them witholding their resins until they get them ā€œperfect.ā€Ā  Iā€™d rather have a servicable, if flawed, resin (at a great price, no less), that I can provide feedback on than no resin at all.

The fulfilment on Formlabs resin seems to have slowed down too, Iā€™ve got an order thatā€™s been sittle idle for weeks.Ā  The resin-bottleneck is really frustrating.Ā  SO many things to printā€¦

@Monger Designs, whatā€™re you using to clean your resin tanks between different mixes and resins?

Iā€™ve got a bottle of Sub G+ to try today, along with an extra tank. But I also have both the White and Grey from Formlabs that Iā€™d like to switch out regularly. Have you found a good, consistent way to clean the tank without damaging it?

Hi Jonathan,

Be careful with the Makerjuice resin. Iā€™ve used it once and it left nasty marks on the PDMS surface.

For ā€œproductionā€ tanks, I recommend using a separate tank for each color or type of resin.

For my testing tanks, I clean them using Alcohol. So far so good. I have the exact procedure somewhere on this forum.

Hey,

For those who are looking for a castable resin. Looks like MadeSolid could be the first. Itā€™s already in pre-order. ( they expect to start release in april-may)
I donā€™t know if the quality will be there but it seems to be expensive :
http://shop.madesolid.com/collections/photopolymer-resin-form1-compatible/products/castsolid-resin

Very interesting. Would love to test this resin. I hope it will be high-resolution resin for that kind of price.

The pricetag on the Makerjuice is just way too tempting, I think Iā€™m going to order some and try it. The B9 mixes I have tried are great when they work but they tend to crack/peal/warp alot. I hope the Makerjuice will work by itself, if not Iā€™ll try mixing it w/ Formlabs resin.

Get some extra tanks. Youā€™re gonna be changing them often.

Iā€™m going to be experimenting with the ā€œnewā€ Makerjuice as well, but in the meanwhile, I want to report back on the Madesolid resins.

If you got one of the first batches (which was brittle and tended to cure imprecisely), disregard that experience, they had scaling problems, and their current versions of their formula are GREAT.

Iā€™ve tried both the white and black so far, and both have printed consistantly, and best of all remain durable, and even a little flexible, after weeks of exposure to sunlight.

The Black formula is especially awsoeme, and it seems to be all but fool-proof, I donā€™t think I had a single failure printing with the black resin, and it even printed nicely despite the fact I was using a comparatively gnarly tank (I didnā€™t want to junk up a ā€œgoodā€ tank with an unkown resin), the black is going to be my go-to development resin (and probably for some parts, production), the success rate (again, kind of amazing) and price make this a killer product.

Thanks for the review and link Eric. I just went through 500ml of Makerjuice gray and am going to look into the madesolid black. I, too, am looking for a cheap prototyping/development resin.

As I posted elsewhere, I had good results with the MJ resin, though my last parts warped (cylinders became ovals), so now Iā€™m printing with FL gray to see if itā€™s my printer, tank or the resin.

Good advice from monger on buying additional tanks, though Iā€™m running out of storage options.

Do not use MADESOLID resin it will destroy yourĀ  tank will leftĀ  marks on the PDMS surface. (blue). I did two prints and have to change tank.