One big print

I now understand why the B9 resin-tank move entire to the left/right in order to always keep the pigment mixed with the resin. Because the B9resin are really liquid.

That’s exactly right. And also because they have a sweeper that scrapes the PDMS layer and exposes it to oxygen.

That makes me wonder why formlabs has taken all those decisions that look wrong to me . But certainly i’m not aware of everything

Thanks Gilles for clarifying the pictures!

Nice print! Looks like it was a fun project, especially when you see the end result.

I have a question (Monger Designs seems to know a lot about this), I can’t find any info about the oxygen/PDMS. What exactly is the story, why is oxygen important? I had some strange failed prints where the resin tray is stuck on the model and platform (suction/vacuum?) even with small objects…

I don’t think i’m the best to explain you about oxygen for PDMS.

For the print stay stuck to the resin tray, maybe it’s because the base thickness is too thin.  Thickness set in Preform does not directly correlate to the printed base ( due to tolerances in the PDMS layer ). So you should increase it until you have 1.7-2mm

Hey GIlles, great work!

Im conducting a little bit of a survey. After going trough plenty of posts im noticing a pattern here… it seems like the form1 is simply unable to print large models with any amount of consistency…

I would attribute your success to being extremely careful with your orientation in regards to the peeling process AND to the fact that none of your models appear to be closed volumes. ie. they are just thin ‘shells’ this obviously induces less pressure on the peeling than a large model with volume would.

I am wondering if you have tried to print anything with a bigger volume and still retained your success… if you have, or any of you have, please let me know here:

https://support.formlabs.com/entries/34042718-Layers-Sticking-to-Tank-Failed-Prints-and-More-?page=1#post_24682383

This is, I believe, a terrible omission on the part of formlabs never to tell us that we would be unable to use anywhere near the full volume that is available, because they havent solved how to deal with the peeling process…

Dear Gilles-alexandre,

can I ask you to please clarify, when you talk about “warping”, is it _only_ caused by the peeling process, or are there any other causes you encountered such as heat or ‘misalignment’ or whatever else?

Thanks for the great set of posts,

DIV