EU Price Adjustment

From time to time, to reflect the current movements in the exchange rate, as well as the cost of doing business, we have to adjust our product prices. We make these sorts of adjustments rarely and carefully. After careful consideration, we are making a slight price adjustment for EU products.

For any customers with an order pending payment through one of our EU representatives, we are happy to honor the committed price until the end of the year.

New product rates:
Form 1+ printer package - €2,999.00
All Resins - €135.00
Resin Tanks - €55.00
Build Platforms - €90.00
Form 1+ Upgrade - €980.00

We appreciate your understanding and your business. If you have further questions, send us a message to support@formlabs.com!

-Formlabs

Looks like you have increased the prices of as much as the royalties due to 3DSystem and only for us in Europe. Disappointing. I am glad I have ordered and paid (and I am waiting) for all already, but a currency adjustment of 8% is extremely high.

wow I was expecting the prices would go down and not up! Its hard enough for the customer to handle your high resin costs if its possible to use shapeways for example to do business.

Yeah, price increase sucks - way to gouge your European customers - looks like it might be worth trying Spot-A materials again.

Or cancel a pending order. With other materials getting cheaper, this is a surprise and I cannot believe this is currency adjustment. It is too high.

I understand adding 8% to the machine cost, it looks like you have little choice.

The resins are already too far above your competitors. I could just about justify the last purchase as avoiding the experimentation with other suppliers, but I think you just tipped it the other way.

You will have started a large number of your customers looking for an alternative, starting with myself.

@Colin , I can understand that due to the settlement with 3Dsystems you have to increase the price to compensate that. But don’t use the movements in the exchange rate as an excuse for that, because if you look at the exchangerate (EUR/USD), the prices in the EU should become cheaper and not more expensive.

Seems to me like you’re trying to cover it up using statements such as exchange rate, while this should not influence the price in a negative way at all. Atleast not in this situation.

The prices you stated is something we’ll have to accept. I understand that, but at least be honest to your customers in stead of this nonsense!

The 8% royalties should be compensated with the exchange rate which is more than 10% (in favor of the Europeans). This would mean that, based on the exchange rate, you can keep the same prices, and therefore the exchange rate will compensate the settlement as it is more than 8%, or you could decrease the price to exactly meet the 8% which you have to cover! Of course this second option is less likely to happen because of the fluctuation of the exchange rate.

Right now, you’re adding +/- 8% to prices and on top of that you’re making no adjustments based on the exchange rate, which means that another 10% of extra costs is added for no reason at all. So you’re actually increasing the price with atleast 18% if you take into account that you have done nothing to benifit the customer because of the positive exchange rate for the Europeans!

So please explain to me what the actual reasons are for the pcice increase? I would assume that a company is always trying to reduce costs and increase efficiency and this would/should reflect positivily on your external stakeholders (the customer).

Please elaborate. Thank you.

Best regards,
Alex Vermeer

3 Likes

I agree - the price increase (especially the resins) has stopped me from considering purchasing.

Getting a Form1+ has cost benefits over Shapeways in the long run, but the long run was just made even longer!

Hi all,

We appreciate the reactions and the feedback. We never assume that a price increase would be a welcome announcement, and we had many conversations before making the adjustment.

This adjustment is in no way related to the settlement with 3D Systems. It would be easy to connect the two, but they are not related; the timing is simply a coincidence. Since May, the Euro has continued to decrease in value relative to the dollar. You can view the trend here. When the Euro drops in value, it doesn’t go as far. We waited on this change as long as we could, but with the continuing trend, we were forced to make the adjustment.

We work really hard to be open and honest with our customers. Which is why we chose to make a straightforward announcement, not just quietly change prices.

We appreciate your feedback and many of us check this forum regularly. If you have further thoughts, please message me through the board or email support@formlabs.com.

This topic is now invisible. It will no longer be displayed in any topic lists. The only way to access this topic is via direct link.