Calibration tool and models

Mine is done in Vorex as well, whenever I actually get to measuring it.

Iā€™d definitely be interested in seeing what you guys get for the Vorex. I am noticing a definite shrinkage in my models when compared to formlabs clear. To counteract this I scale up by 1-2% when I print in vorex. Any thoughts if that is the correct way to deal with this?

does this occur over time, or is the shrinkage immediate?

This is immediate. For instance if I print a syringe, then the inside diameter will be at least 2% smaller then the same print in formlabs clear in the same settings/orientation.

Yikes! That sucks. kind of wishing I hadnā€™t bought any Vorex now. That, and itā€™s still not here, and I bought it on the 16thā€¦

Just finished measuring. I didnā€™t have any work space to measure it on, so I just kinda used it on my laptop. Vortex Resin @ 0.05mm (I think that was the resolution) I measured on the front then the back and averaged the two. (rounded) Same with the Left and right. The Z axis was tricky as the cross bar wasnā€™t very wide. (fix in next rev maybe?) Also I noticed that measuring with the vortex resin was in consistent with pressure. Each measurement was done 3 times on the fly. (averaged in my head)
Avg design variance X 11.11% Y 11.21% Z 101.35%
Z-Scale Adjusted: 10.96 Z-Scale Adjusted: 11.06

1. In Preformā€™s Scale section, always scale each object individually to: 0.987 <-- All Objects!
  2. In Preformā€™s Fine Tuning section, increase X by: 89.042 % <-- One time setup
  3. In Preformā€™s Fine Tuning section, increase Y by: 88.944 % <-- One time setup

Havenā€™t had time to print cube. Hope these adjustments will help.

Wow! You seem like you measured in cm, not mm. Your X&Y adjustment percentages seem WAY off. Mine were 1.009% and 2.052% respectively. Make sure you measured precisely, using the correct units.

Yea, somethingā€™s not right. Mine was 1.02% and .97%. Granted it is a little difficult to hold it while you measure. You REALLY have to put it on a flat surface. Also be mindful that this is plastic with no supports in the center so do not squeeze the part with the caliper when you measure. That too will give you false readings.

Yeah I remeasured it with a calibrated caliper and got different numbers. Havenā€™t had a chance to throw them in the spread sheet yet as I travel for work.

Nope I figured out what Iā€™m doing wrong. I need to remeasure it when I get a chance. Totally user error.

Blue is where I should have measured. Red is where I measured. Yellow is where I measured the Z. Just for kicks what is the width of the steps? Anyway you can get this converted over to sae? Not all shops run metric.

heh, yeah that would give odd resultsā€¦

umm, I wouldnā€™t hold your breath on that :smile:
But you can do a conversion and then post it back for others that need SAE as well. Then weā€™d have both unit types covered. Iā€™m using metric exclusively, and honestly I canā€™t understand as an American why SAE still exists.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.