Safe to print at home?

Thank You!

Any issues with temp in the garage?

Definitely. Temperatures swing pretty rapidly in the garage, so you have to do something to stabilize the temperature a little.

If you don’t do something to stabilize the temperature you get expansion/contraction effects in the print due to the material expanding or contracting due to the temperature change.

I’ll eventually build a fume hood for my printer, but for now I have a small heater that I put under the printer during the night.

Digital deck covers makes a cover for both the form 2 and 3, I had/have both and they work great.

I was in the process of designing some parts to attach a hose to the cover plus a small fume extractor. That really should be enough to pull all the smells out and then it’ll depend on how good of a fume extractor one is running. I have a well ventilated space now so I didn’t need to do that.

My space can also get quite cold. I haven’t noticed any significant issues caused by temperature. The internal heater tries to keep everything at a set point and it seems to hold fairly well.

I’m bitching about this in another thread. I want a pre-heat function. The resin gets very viscous when it gets below about 65ºF. So thick, when the printer does the initial fill and it tries to move the wiper, the wiper can’t move. You have to stand in front of the printer and “assist” the wiper each time it tries to move (closing the cover in between moves so the resin continues to heat up). It takes ~10 minutes or more in my 65ºF basement before I can walk away from the printer, when I start a new print and the printer is “cold”.

If you put the printer in a cold enough garage, the warmup will be significantly extended and you may not be able to get the resin to temperature at all. But if the printer gets to temperature, I don’t think it matters where it’s located.

The other consideration would be thermal cycles. As things change temperature, they change size. And how much they change is a function of what the material is. Different materials expand/contract at different rates. This can build up stresses and cause things to shift. It can also make screws and nuts loosen up. I don’t know if FL uses loctite on the fasteners. But if the garage isn’t fairly stable temperature-wise, over time this might also be a concern…

The heater in the Form 3 struggles when the room is close to freezing. i.e. if you start the print during the day, it will start just fine. But as temperatures hurdle towards freezing at night, the internal printer temperature drops. I’ve had failures from this.

I use a small ceramic $50 space heater I bought on Amazon in my two-car garage. The average outside temps can average around 20-30F as of this writing. My average garage temp stays at about 65-68F which is about what I keep my inside home temps at. If someone opens the garage door, the ambient temp will plummet, but will recover within 5-10 minutes because the things in the garage are all warm. If someone leaves the door open for 15 minutes however, the heater will need about an hour to return the ambient temp back to normal.

That said, I keep my printers in an interior workshop room with ventilation that vents outside and keep large and messy tools (table saws, belt sanders, etc.) in the garage.