Printing Balls

Has anyone had issues printing balls on Form2? I’ve been having issues with balls causing the print to drag during the peel stage. As in the printer clicks a few times when peeling.

For a while I was printing halfs of hollow balls and sticking them together. Note i was printing these ball halfs directly to the platform, no base. But this was wearing out the resin tank silicon. After a while it stopped working. So them I tried printing ball halfs with holes to relieve stress from suction force.

I’ve also tried printing solid whole balls with a base and still had trouble. When the ball got close to the center the print started dragging again in the peel process.

Any advice on printing balls is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: I forgot these are 1" balls

Hi @gpatto1, it might be helpful to post a screenshot of what you’re working on in Preform with the support structure included. That would help us understand if you need an extra vent or drain hole in your design. In the meantime, we also have a document on model orientation, which includes some tips on preventing the suction cup effect that you’re referring to.

Originally I was printing hollow ball halves. The flat side directly on the platform. It worked a couple times, then it started sticking during the peel process and damaging the silicon.

I stopped trying the hollow balls because I thought the dragging was caused by the suction cup action, I also tried hollow halfs with a hole.

I just tried printing a full solid ball. On a base. I printed this on a Brand New resin tank. It started dragging half way through. My brand new resin tank is now damaged and worn after only 1 print.

You need to add holes in order to print like that, yikes!

Your tank isn’t damaged, that’s just normal wear. It’s normal, and it’s convenient to reposition the parts on the platform every print in order to maximize tank usage, avoiding those areas. New LT tanks behave differently, and don’t wear out as quickly as regular tanks.
Anyway, that area is still printable, until the parts start to come with surface defects or fail to print, which won’t happen just yet as far as I can see.

CPinto

Unfortunately it’s more than just clouding, there’s actual silicon missing.

I do move my prints, I was just shocked to see this after one print. I’ll keep moving my prints to use this tank.

But why am I seeing this wear? My main question is how do I print balls without this issue?

As I said you need to add holes so air scapes instead of creating a suction cup.

The one’s I show in the 2nd set of pictures are not hollow. they are solid. I thought this would eliminate the dragging caused by the suction effect. Would I still need holes if it’s solid?

As you can see in the picture, the dragging/ sticking actually caused the layers to move.e

Sorry I’m a little confused. If the ball is solid, how can there be a suction cup effect?

I’ve printed solid parts before without this issue. Maybe I’m confused about this.

If you don’t want to add holes to the print just angle it about 25 degrees. That should help with the suction cup effect. Also are you moving your prints around on the build plate?

When I first started this webinar really helped me understand why I had to orient things the way they were telling me.

https://formlabs.com/understanding-sla-3d-printing/

If you want to print a suction ball like you showed at the top, you’ll need to angle it so no air gets trapped. What resin are you using?

This is how you need to orient the hemispheres to avoid any issues and then glue them together.

1 Like

Thank you. We were orginally printing hollow balls just to save on resin. But then we had the issues with dragging.

I like this idea for printing the seperate hemispheres.

Any idea why I am having issues when printing the solid ball?

It’s a 3rd party resin. I thought if I switched to a solid ball, instead of printing halves I wouldn’t have anymore problems. But the problem has persisted. I am going to try printing with the Color kit resin.