I have printed a small injection mold to fit on my manual injection molding machine the IASCO 66M.
The print came out pretty good at 50 microns in black resin V1 and all needed details were very good visible. After the IPA bath I put the mold in an UV light for nail curing to eliminate the sticky touch. The mold is pretty tough now.
When I injected molten polypropylene at roughly 450 degrees Fahrenheit I neither notice any deformations on the mold nor loss of detail nor saw the mold melting but I found out that I did not align the sprue correctly with the injection nozzle so I could only injection 10% of the need material. As a consequence I will need to redesign the mold and make the design a bit bigger because I noticed some shrinkage but have not measured it exactly for now.
As mold release I used a normal silicon spray that after I sprayed it on the inside of the mold could completely dry off.
The good result and the strength of the Formlabs resin has motivated me to carry on with this project and see what I can get out of the combination Form 1+ / injection machine.
Please note that I am not an artist and I did not have any experience in using the Form 1+ or the 66M machine prior to this experiment. I just wanted to explore how far I could go for digital file to physical “product”.