Preview for chosen resolution

Some users already asked for a customizable Z resolution. That would be a really cool feature, which could increase the printing speed. So users could print more parts over a year, consuming more resin --> a win win scenario for users and Formlabs.

Sometimes I’m not sure whether printing at 0,1mm resolution would be enough. Would it be possible to add a preview into Preform, to see how a print would look like at 0,1; 0,05; 0,025 layer height?

1 Like

This has been talked about and proposed quite often in the past, but it’s always good to remind Formlabs that morepeople are interested in the feature… in fact I think all Form 1/1+/2 users are or should be.

One other proposal is different resolution on the same part…

In that regard so far the official word is that they’re looking into it. At the time @Frew pointed out that they were looking at an automatic Z resolution adjustment depending on part geometry, which would also be great, although if I could have only one of the two I would rather have a manual setting than an automatic one.

My guess is that it can be more challenging to implement as we suspect, as they may have different XYZ compensation depending on Z resolution in order to achieve the correct final dimensions, and mixing everything up may throw off dimensional accuracy.
One good news is that both the printer and preform already do that : when printing with a raft, the raft is always printed at 100 microns no matter what resolution you choose to print the rests of the part at.