Nearly empty cartridges

What do you all do with nearly empty cartridges that don’t have enough resin remaining in them to safely run a print?

…Currently mine just sit on my shelf and I look at them once in a while…I would like to use them up

Plan to use them on a project where you’re around to replace the cartridge when it’s empty

Does the printer pause when the resin level gets too low to allow for a cartridge swap?

Yes, when the printer senses that the level of resin in the tank is too low, and it doesn’t sense the level rising after trying to dispense resin from the cartridge, it will pause the print to allow for a cartridge swap.

If you have a tank with a resin level below the upper line, you could also manually drain resin from a near-empty cartridge into that tank.

Every so often it’ll pause after printing a layer to check the resin levels, if it’s below a certain amount it will dispense more resin, it then checks again and if the amount hasn’t changed then it knows the cartridge is empty. It will also make an estimation before you print on how much resin is in the cartridge based off the amount you’ve printed with that cartridge and it’ll warn you that you might not have enough resin left for the print. If it detects that you’re out of resin while printing it’ll ask if you want to continue (if you know you have enough resin in the tray).

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

I plan on pouring the low resin into another cartridge until it’s acceptable.

I am a tightwad and use every drop I can extract from a cartridge. Here is my routine:
I purchased a Mainstays Stainless Steel Digital Kitchen Scale from Walmart ($20). An empty resin cartridge is about 300g. When I receive the message from the Form 2 that the cartridge is getting low, I can weigh the cartridge to determine if there is actually enough resin to complete my job.
If not, I place a new cartridge, and set aside the previous one. Once the new cartridge is partially consumed, I drain the remaining resin from the old cartridge into the new one, and weigh the results.
Now, the drawback to this routine is that the software on the printer roughly calculates how much resin has been consumed based on the volume of prints, so the printer will give the resin-getting-low warning “early” because the machine doesn’t know there has been additional resin added to the cartridge. So I weigh the cartridge as before when I know I’m getting to the end of the cartridge. But at some point there is a warning from the machine that the resin is critically low, and you have to be at the machine to push “Print Anyway” for the job to actually start.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.